View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 11:11 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: How long to charge 48v LED batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockten View Post
When I bought the batteries they measured 7.6 volts each.
As per the attached state of charge chart, at 7.6 volts each those batteries are essentially totally dead. The problem with a totally dead lead acid battery that has been stored for a long time (in your case over a year), sulfation occurs which can form permanent damage. That permanent damage may not show up right away (or it might) but it will at a minimum shorten (or dramatically shorten) the life span of the battery.

If you would normally get 4 years out of a new, well maintained battery pack ... a damaged pack might give you 1, 2 or 3 years ... at likely reduced performance as well.

So those batteries that you bought at a discount might actually turn out to be a very expensive battery pack on a dollars per year basis ... depending on the life you get out of them.

I suggest the following to access the condition of this "old / new" battery pack. :
When you are done charging, disconnect the charger and let the battery voltage stabilize for 24 hours or so and then measure the voltage of the pack and of each individual battery.
Then take your cart for a short run (10 to 15 minutes), then park it for 1 hour and measure the individual and pack voltages again to get the stabilized, at rest voltage.
Then take your cart for a longer run (say 30 to 45 minute more), park it again for an hour and take the voltages again.
Then fully recharge the battery pack, disconnect the battery charger and let the voltage stabilize for 24 hours or so and again measure the voltages.
Note - measure all voltage to 2 decimal place.
The above voltage readings may help to access the condition of the battery pack.

Note that several back to back charges may help to remove some of the sulfation damage in the cells but given the total discharge and length of storage, I suspect that considerable permanent damage is possible .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote