View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 09:10 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: HF V-Twin build help

I've used both clones and Vtwins, including the HF670. I can tell you for sure, the same cart with the same muffler, the HF670 is quieter than a clone, unless the clone has the stock muffler on it. Single cylinder 440 has a bigger piston than the Vtwin, which makes a bigger sound. Yes the Vtwin has two pistons, but they are smaller and make less noise. Also the valvetrain is less "chattery" than the clones, especially a built clone, and the Vtwin is much much smoother.

Yes, you need a lift to use the HF670 (most likely), although I've seen some guys use the Vanguard 16hp 479 Vtwin in a non lifted cart, so that is possible.

I don't dislike single cylinder clones, but once you add a high comp piston and big cam, and header pipe, they really get a little noisy, much louder than stock. That's when I don't care for them. Vtwins are much less noisy.

Putting a quiet muffler on a performance engine usually kills the power, so might as well just leave the stock muffler that comes on the engine. I've used a Duromax 440 with the stock muffler and no mods, and it was pretty dang quiet, and would go 30 mph in a hurry. It was quiet enough to run at a campground without annoying anyone. Louder than a stock cart, yes, but fairly quite IMO.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote