View Single Post
Old 02-09-2022, 03:48 PM   #12
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2021 icon i40 with Roy pow lithium battery locks up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
A cart that locks the brakes without power should never be converted to lithium. Lithium will cut all power on a fault condition to protect the cells, in this case injuring or possibly even killing the carts riders in the process.

I'm unfamiliar with the Icon. Can the magnetic brake be disabled? Are there mechanical brakes on this cart?
This exactly. Currently, they should not ever be installed on carts with magnetic brakes without a safety mitigation feature.

It does have mechanical disc brakes as well. Magnetic brake can be disabled, but then the cart drives super weird. Rolls around on hills and when you park it, it wouldn't stay put unless you re-engaged the mag brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmII View Post
Playing devils advocate here just a bit. Do you have a SOC (state of charge) meter on the cart? With my lithium they installed a separate meter because the factory meter doesn't work. So my SOC tells me how much charge I have left. I believe the roypows shut off at two bars left.

Do you know based on SOC that it was fully charged? Or how many bars were left when it locked up?
In this case, it's a consumer safety issue I'd imagine. Installing a product where it's known that it has a non-trivial risk of causing serious injury/death is an issue. I want lithium for ICONs though so I want to figure out how to make it work safely.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote