View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1976 Model D Complete Rebuild Thread

ELECTRICAL -

The wiring on this thing was a joke! Apparently over the last 40 years, people have been messing with it. A lot! A wire would start out green, be spliced to white, be spliced to yellow, then spliced to red. Four pieces of wire for 1 wire!

I downloaded a wiring diagram and redrew it in color. Then thought about what I want to add in the future and drew the wiring for those accessories as well. I then ripped out all of the wiring and re-wired the entire thing using 12 gauge wire. I know it's overkill, but it should last forever. I also soldered the terminals and used heat-shrink tubing, and routed everything up out of the way.

I need to be able to drive it at night, so I bought a 12" CREE LED lightbar on eBay for $30. I wanted LED as I have read that these old generators do not put out a lot of juice. I wasn't expecting much for $30 but was completely surprised by the quality and amount of light that it puts out. And when I turn it on, it doesn't even make my volt gauge flicker! I did have to move the Harley plaque down a few inches to be able to mount the light where I wanted it...

jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote