View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1976 Model D Complete Rebuild Thread

FUTURE PLANS -

Frame: This winter I plan on stripping it down to the frame. I'm going to weld lightweight steel mesh to the bottom to keep branches and other debris from coming up but still allow it to breathe. I'll then sand blast it and have it powder coated.

Body: I am contemplating cutting the body in half lengthwise and making it about 6-inches wider. This will allow it to cover the rear wheels, make room for wider seats and a center console. The underside is going to be coated with orange Durban rubberized bed liner material and a lightweight insulating heat shield. The exterior will be gel coated in Harley orange. I will probably build a fiberglass storage area between the front and rear seats. One half will be a cooler for beverages and the other half just for lockable storage.

Suspension: I am probably going to raise it about 2 inches and install coil isolators and a new shock to smooth out the ride.

Tires & Wheels: Definitely new tires and wheels. Probably aluminum, probably wider and with a good offset so I can lose the wheel spacers. Maybe a little taller tires to get a few more MPH and reduce my RPMs.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote