View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: starter assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
is ti possible to put a starter/generator together wrong, outside of turning can around, and what would happen if you did? i just took mine apart and cleaned it, reassembled it and the two wires (red&green) well.....i dont remember them being in their current position.
Hey Shag ....If you have a vise you can mount the nut at the end of the armature and pulley...you will see a hole in the end plate. The feild casing(the can as you called it) has a "pin" in it. (the red and green wires will be "Up" when you slide it down) The "brush end plate" will also have a "pin" that will match a hole in the feild casing. Just remember, you must "push" the brushes "outward" till the springs will hold them out enough so you can tap on the end plate onto the armature bearing and the pin will alighn the holes in the end plate for the big "pivot" bolt and the other hole in the end plate for the belt tensionor bolt. Push the brushes in and make shure the springs "catch" onto the end of the brushes. Also make shure the brush wires wont "catch or hit any moving parts". Put the rubber caps on and your good to go. You can test the starter by hooking up a 12 volt battery to (positive 12 volts to "F2" and negative 12 volts to "A1"). Man I hope this helps! Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote