View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Only Runs with full choke and full Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastom1 View Post
Thanks guys for the feedback. I looked real close at the rubber adapter plate that the carb attaches to and it has some hairline cracks between the 4 bolts at the corners and the center opening where the carb basicly plugs in. Could these cracks be leaking air so without the choke closed it's getting to much air? I will take the carb off again in the morning and check for cracks in the housing.
Tom, let me give you my thought process, with the similar issue.

I did enjoy reading in one of the manuals (forget which one) that the choke enriched the fuel, and allowed better ignition when the engine is cold ... Bwaa haa haa. The choke does exactly what is says ... it chokes off the air so that there is less air for the same amount of fuel ... period.

Based on that, most suggestions will be that you have a leak somewhere allowing extra air, and the choke only stops some of it. It could be from a weak fuel supply requiring less air to get a combustible mix, but most likely too much air, and there are a lot places it could happen.

I started with the simple first ... air box. There is a plug in the bottom. If missing, you will get too much air. Mine was missing, so I plugged it, now I don't need as much choke. I'm fairly new at this so I have a lot more to do, but that helped until I get some other work done on my G1.

Start simple and look further after you correct the simple. As many (much smarter than me) have stated it could be several different air leaks combined, insufficient fuel, or one large air leak.

From one Newbie to another best o' luck,
Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote