View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: "The Drive" Towing Capacity Question

If you have a hitch like that bolted to the frame the issue usually is it will pull anything the cart is able to pull....because the hitch is stronger than the power the cart has. You have to limit tongue weight it will push the cart rear down too much, can lift the front tires up. Try to keep the receiver short; keep the ball close to the cart that helps. The main thing is to work on the clutches to pull better from a stop. Older carts you can put springs in the secondary and/or run a cut sheave and the HD belt. I'm not up on the new drive clutches, but you should investigate what makes them tow better that is key. Then be safe and you should be able to pull anything the cart can pull. I have pulled 20' small block boats with my G9 that I did a few mods to the clutch but still has stock spring in it. It will not pull up a hill with that much weight, and have to be careful and go slow. It pulls a 16' OB bowrider pretty easily though and I can pull that out of the boat ramp. I only have the stock shocks stood up straighter and lifted a little more so it holds more weight, and mostly did that so I can fill the box with dirt or wood/etc. I have landed a 24' pontoon with it in the ramp, hauled a 12' utility trailer around, pull yard carts no problem. I even pulled a hay wagon a couple times but its too heavy when its full of people (on flat ground, about 20 people fit on it). That is a G9 it has less HP than a drive, but will have more soon as I get the engine into it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote