View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1976 Model D Complete Rebuild Thread

DASH / CONTROLS -

The first thing I changed was the key switch. The cart came with 1 key that was almost broken in half and the switch didn't turn very easily. I decided to go with a round barrel key switch so that it would match my Harley motorcycle.

The original choke cable was rusted solid so I bought a new one. I found a NOS Harley motorcycle voltmeter gauge on eBay and hooked it up to my new wiring.

I thought I would go "high tech" with my light switch so I bought a safety toggle switch that looks like it should belong on an F-18 fighter jet. The LED idiot light to the left glows blue to remind me the lights are on. The hole to the left of that, will be for a red LED idiot light that will come on when the cart is in reverse. I will also have a horn or beeper connected to it.

I have already designed a new placard to replace the old, torn-up stock one and it includes the new switches and lights but still retains the original look.

I plan on adding a tachometer, possibly a speedometer, and maybe a fuel gauge if I can figure out how to make a sending unit work with this gas tank. An hour meter will be mounted under the body.

jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote