View Single Post
Old 07-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1976 Model D Complete Rebuild Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
Nice, I think when I get my 1980 classic model, I may install a voltmeter where the clock is installed. I would worry that cutting the body in 1/2 would weaken a very strong body. 3 1/2 acres is perfect for these. I am on 1 acre but in a subdivision that I have over a mile of blacktop road. As for a speedo, a Nuvi GPS works really well and is a clock as well. I just installed a power port on mine for power for the GPS. Downhill on mine I did hit 21-22 and that is almost scary fast with a 3 wheeler. Its sweet spot is cruising at 12-15. I see that my new to me classis model still has the governor and is listed at 12 mph top speed.

It looks like the 80-82 model Harleys did go back to the a panel mounted fuel gauge like the pre-75 models. So that model did have a sending unit inside the plastic fuel tank. I don't know if a sending unit/float from the 5 gal. steel tank models would work is it may not be calibrated to work with the bigger 8 gallon tank.
I would definitely have to modify the underbody metal support structure, and I would really be cutting it 4 pieces so I could widen the front seat area and have room for a console between the seats. The problem with this is that the top would also have to be widened since it would no longer cover the body. I'm also considering just molding some sweeping fiberglass fender flares. This would stop the mud slinging but would not add any additional passenger room.

That's great info about the 80-82 fuel gauges. Do you know if the plastic gas tanks are similar to my '76 plastic tank? If they're pretty close, I would think it would be pretty easy to install a sending unit in my tank...

jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote