Thread: Poorboy Carts
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #264
checkoutmyjunk
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Poorboy Carts

Okay, I will bite. With the effect COVID has on folks here in PA, the value of golf carts has gone up so that make these "beaters" even more awesome! I would also guess that mean more folks are saving carts that would have otherwise been scrapped.

My cart lives on an island in the middle of the Susquehanna river. With the island being remote it's susceptible to theft and vandalism and that makes me want to keep the investment low. Being on an island also means it's difficult to get to and that means I need a reliable unit because putting a 600+ pound golf cart on my little jon boat is no easy task.

Picked this Yamaha G1 up for $250. A compression test let me know that I needed a topend. I reached out to Don Plowman for a top-end kit, while I was talking to him he upsold me on a muffler and a shaved head.

https://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts....1595537975&v=2

Put the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner and bolted it all back together. It ran great, pulled about 22 on the flats with the governor in place.

Next I dressed it up a little. I mixed up some brown and white rustoleum and gave it a spray. Then I added a few aluminums bits to hide the rust. Lastly I put a wooden bumper on and called it done.

I have under $1k into it now with the seals and odd bits. It's proven to be reliable and the fastest on the island
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0655.jpg (173.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0680.jpg (223.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0651.jpg (118.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0895.jpg (120.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1068.jpg (274.5 KB, 0 views)
checkoutmyjunk is offline   Reply With Quote