View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 12:12 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax Controller on an ETEK DC Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Wow, never knew that Briggs made an electric motor. Very fascinating. Interested to hear what they have to say...
Yes, it was a manufacturing license of the Lynch motor design. The price was very reasonable as well. Too bad it did not take off any better than it did. The brushes were the weakest link in the Lynch motor design. There were no windings in the traditional sense. There were bars positioned around the rotor that behaved as the windings, with brushes contacting the ends.

The ETEK (Lynch) motors evolved into a brushless DC (BLDC) motor design, and others carried on with the development. I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to buy one of these while they were still in production.

I called Alltrax, and according to the fellow that designed my version of AXE controller. they were not really designed for PM motors. They tried, but the use with actual PM motors turned out to be problematic. The problem was related to the motor being too good of a generator when you back off of the throttle. He said the SR series was designed to handle that better. So it's not a matter of working, it's a matter of how long it will survive the abuse. It's a great controller for series wound motors though. I guess my idea of a more efficient EV was just too many years too early. Since I have no interest in building any new series wound motor driven EVs, I guess I'll just list them on eBay at some time in the future.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote