View Single Post
Old 01-31-2016, 09:22 AM   #24
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Lithium Conversion (leaf battery)

I am keeping my charger offboard. I adapted the charger cable to use the old cable that my cart uses so that I can plug it into the old socket. I recommend offboard with that lithium charger. I have the same one you have. I would not trust it to be subjected to the vibration that it would get in a cart. It is not all that rugged IMO.
The batteries are great so far. I use about 30AH playing a round of golf so 120 is plenty for me. The 14 module battery weighs 120 pounds - about what two of my 8V FLA batteries weighed so my cart is about 250 pounds lighter. That is a good thing and a bad thing. It is sprung for the extra weight so it rides rougher like a pickup with no load in the bed. It accelerates much faster being lighter. I just installed the Alltrax controller so I do not have enough run time to say how much better it is than the stock one. I think it is much better. I like the regen breaking which my stock controller did not do. (and the regen recovers some of the energy used in slowing down) I have taken a bunch of pix and I plan to start a thread when I get my battery meter installed. I ran with my laptop hooked up yesterday and it was cool to monitor all of the voltages and currents while running. You can see the controller modulating the field current and armature current and you can see the throttle position and motor RPM. Only problem is it is almost impossible to see my laptop screen when the sun is out! Top speed with my final settings was about 27 MPH according to my phone App which I cross checked against my car spedo. That is as fast as I want to go. I dialed the max motor RPM down to 4000 from 6000 to achieve that. The throttle response was way too harsh with the higher max RPM setting. Even with that setting I still modified the throttle curve a bit to soften it at the bottom. Now it is nice and smooth starting out but it gets up and goes if you punch it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote