View Single Post
Old 01-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #28
rottie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lithium Conversion (leaf battery)

More progress today.
I bolted down all of the bottom plate, then set the batteries in there final position.

Then I noticed that the top of the batteries are ~0.25" above the seat rail. !@#$%^&* !!!!
I did not want to re-orient the batteries in the horizontal position (not service/access friendly) and I didn't want to go back and get more box tubing to raise the seat rail 1", so I started looking around the garage.

Low and behold, I had the left over 1" sq tubing from the dump bed on the trailer that I did not use. As it turns out it was almost formed perfectly to fit around the seat edge.
I inserted the thing a vice, connected an extension, heated the bends with a propane torch very carefully and bent the ~115 degrees bends to 90 degrees.
It worked just like a charm.
Then because the U was a little small. I cut it in the middle of the U and then mounted it all on the seat rail. See pictures.

Now I have about 0.75" clearance between the seat and batteries. The seat bottom is wood and with the plastic covers over the terminals, there is no chance of an accidental arc/short. that would cause a real "HOT" seat.

Tomorrow, I get the mount the reversing contactor and screw in the batteries into the final place. Then start making cables.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2683.jpg (238.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2685.jpg (206.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2686.jpg (188.3 KB, 0 views)
rottie is offline   Reply With Quote