View Single Post
Old 08-18-2022, 10:56 AM   #42
XCOP1152
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO works one day, and doesn't the next

Quote:
Originally Posted by acguy_409 View Post
Just my .02. All the dirt, mud, and water in the F-R switch can't be good. Good electrical troubleshooting includes visual inspection. Your fifth picture (far right) shows your solenoid, which has oxidized terminals(a possible symptom of failure), and I can't see the bottom cable, but it appears to maybe have been heated/melted insulation. Inspect the large posts for discoloration, which is an obvious indication of heat damage. A bad one might be dark in color, or even orange. Solenoids can undoubtedly fail but still click when activated if this is the failure mode. The clicking is the only magnetic slug moving, but it doesn't mean there is good electrical continuity and power transmission capability between the large contacts. Conversely, a solenoid that does not click, may not be getting excited by the coil, or may just plain be bad internally. Again, yours is oxidized on the coil terminals. I have replaced several that didn't click and were bad, and others that clicked, but were bad. I have also had solenoids welded, causing hard power to be applied to the controller constantly when the key was on. The 500 ohm resistor precharges the controller thru these same contacts, and will show voltage on both large terminals, and is not necessarily an indication of failure, so you have to isolate it from the power circuit to troubleshoot the solenoid properly. Either way, don't overlook the many failure mode possibilities of this 29 dollar part that in my opinion is a weak link in these carts.
Thanks for the info. Everything you said makes sense. I ordered a new solenoid, resister, and diode, but have not installed them yet. I am waiting for it to stop running again so I can troubleshoot the pedal box a little more.

We're in a cool spell here in Virginia, and the cart has been running consistently for the last few days...something that hasn't happen in a long time.

Thanks again!
XCOP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote