View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Club Car DS 85
Not Yet Wild

Default 1977 EZGO 2 stroke

I am trying to fix up a vintage 1977 Ezgo 2 stroke with a Robbins 244 engine. I put new points, condenser and a spark plug in it. The last owner said he did change the points and after that it never ran.
I read where setting the timing is very critical and difficult. If it is off the engine may not run correctly. In the process I have the timing marks on the flywheel and the dyno housing marked. I have set them where they are off the dyno mark by a 1/4" for each direction.
When I run it in reverse it runs very good. The points emit a bring purple spark as they work. Clutch kicks in fine.
Then when I try forward, no power, no visible spark from points and of course no movement from the clutch.
I tried moving the points bracket many times and in many positions using the meter connected to the coil. In every move I make reverse is great forward is like dead. Of course the closer to the dyno marks I split the difference the easier it starts.
Am I just not getting the flywheel marks close enough or any suggestions to help me set the timing for power in both direction.
Thanks for ideas ahead of time.
Club Car DS 85 is offline   Reply With Quote