Old 08-08-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: BigBattery 48v HSKY in My 98 Club Car DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
I have arrived at a quandary:
The aluminum Z bar in the middle of the pictures is 1/8" thick or so, and is welded to the frame rails. I believe it to be a major structural component.
It is considerably higher than the front battery support angle, and the top horizontal leg slopes upward at an angle.
I had originally considered cutting thru the top leg and down the vertical legs in an effort to lower the battery tray in the frame.If I were to do this, I would fab a cross brace out of angle iron and bolt across the frame rails just underneath the battery tray to regain the lost strength.
I could mount the battery tray to the top of that Z bar and raise the front to level. I would still have clearance under the body and seat. However, as the top leg slopes upward, I would need wedges under the batt tray to distribute the contact. I would need to raise the front of the tray about 3" to level the batt.
Or, I could cut thru the top leg of the Z bar ans bend down a bit so that the batt tray could bolt flush.That would not weaken the Z bar as much,but I would still want to add a brace underneath, and would still need to raise the front of the tray, but about 1/2" less...

Any thoughts??
I wouldn't cut it, but that's just me. If you remove the controller/solenoid mounting plate as shown in post one, you'll have plenty of room.

Yes, the pack will be at a slight angle but that's fine. Just relocate the controller and solenoid to the space where batteries 1 and 2 were.

I'm mounting mine on a 9x13 backing pan which will fit into the space where the batteries were. Charger will go on another baking pan on the driver's side.

PS- Get rid of the computer. You won't need it with your new charger.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote