View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
1992G8
Gone Wild

Default Re: G29 Clutch - Plowsman - Comet - Gboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley909 View Post
hey y'all I picked up an 08 G29 lifted it 6 inches and stuck 23s under it, now its time for a clutch the original one is very jerky on take off and slipping a lot.

Now I have been doing some research and I am finding more questions then answer, I have been considering plowmans team clutch or redoing my own with the gboost internals but I know these are a PITA clutch to open, but I am finding a lot of people like the comet clutch.

For the life of me I cannot find a solid answer on which comet to get I believe its the 780 but then I am not sure what to do with the driven clutch if that stays the same or if I should get a different spring and also do I need a different belt for the comet?

Overall which is the better option Comet or Plowmans? I live in a very hilly area, and do some light towing, speed is not a concern.

thank you!
The Comet clutches are very "tunable". Also, they're primarily designed to function where engine speed is ideally maintained at its peak RPM. That's not where your main operating RPM will be if you want to climb hills, and not so worried about top speed. It would probably rev up too quickly for what you want to do, causing you to have to make changes. Add to that, everything has to work together for it to work the way you want (i.e. the engine, drive clutch, belt, driven clutch, rear gear). That means you need someone's expertise on how to set up that clutch for your application and what you want the cart to do.

It's like when you build a torque converter for a drag car. They don't just say, "Here, use this one, it's great". They need lots of information like: engine horsepower, peak engine torque, operating engine RPM, transmission gear ratios, shift points, max Rpm, weight of vehicle, rear gear, tire size, etc...(I'm probably missing a few too).

Unless you talk to someone who knows exactly what you have (engine, drive clutch, belt, driven clutch, spring, tire size, rear gear, how you want it to shift) you may end up very unhappy with the performance of your new comet clutch.

I'm not saying nobody is running a Comet clutch with their stock engine, or that it can't be tuned to work. I'm saying you don't need all that hassle when all you want is a good working clutch. Don Plowman has tested clutches on Yamaha golf cart engines for decades. He knows from years of trial and error, and testing, what works and what doesn't.

Call him and ask. I'll bet anybody dollars to doughnuts he doesn't recommend the Comet Clutch for this application.
1992G8 is offline   Reply With Quote