lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy No power up hills/engine bogs (I'm at a loss)

This will be my third thread trying to figure out this 1994 EZGO.

The cart has no problems for the first 5 minutes of driving, but soon after the power seems to bog down. I've proved this by immediately taking the cart to a hill, going down, and making it back up at a decent speed.

Withing 5 minutes of running, slight hills slow the cart down, and steeper hills are impossible to get up. On flat ground I'm getting around 13mph, but on hills (If i can even make it up) I'm averaging like 1-2mph.

One of the only things I can imagine it being at this point, is the clutch. That doesn't explain why everything is fine for the first 5 minutes, and why I seem to lose power afterwards. It's not like the belt is slipping (cool to the touch), the engine rpm's take a dive meaning the clutch only engages about halfway.

Things I've Done:

New Carb
New Spark Plugs
New Drive Belt
Fresh Gasoline
Valve Tune
Compression Test (175psi on both)
Choking while driving kills the engine
Set up gravity fed gas directly to carb
Running the cart with no air box (performs slightly better)
Shortened Throttle Linkage
Adjusted Governor
Adjusted Air/Fuel ratio knob

The only other info I can offer is that the plugs after running are carbon fouled. Black, matte soot covers them.

Please help!
BigDaddy325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No power up hills/engine bogs (I'm at a loss)

Carbon fouled is running rich.

When it bogs down, throw it in neutral to see if the RPMs pick up.

And even if there is a power problem with the engine not running right, you still have a primary clutch problem. You can't wish it away.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:40 PM   #3
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Carbon fouled is running rich.

When it bogs down, throw it in neutral to see if the RPMs pick up.

And even if there is a power problem with the engine not running right, you still have a primary clutch problem. You can't wish it away.
Hi there,

First off I appreciate the response. I have no issue ordering a new clutch but I'm more concerned that I'll be out a couple hundred bucks and still have engine bogging issues.

Is there a good chance the clutch is to blame for the loss of power? The fact that for the first 5 or so minutes the clutch operates perfectly is what's throwing me off.
BigDaddy325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Roll the belt off the rear driven clutch. Grab both sheaves and twist them opposite directions. It should be pretty hard to twist them. Then release, they should snap back to where they started pretty hard. If they dont, I'd start with a new clutch.

This isnt a 100% definitive test but it's a good indication of whether or not it's doing what it should.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #5
newtjl
Gone Wild

Try leaning out the carb and see if it helps. The mixture screw is on top of the carb and may have a plastic cap on it which pops off. Run that screw in to a soft seat, then back it out 1 and 1/2 turns. Thats a starting point and you can adjust it further depending on how it runs.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

From what I saw in your video, I would take the primary apart and clean it. Then go from there.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO