lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #1
Tommybh
Getting Wild

Default Ezgo txt 295 Robin smokes

Hello all I appreciate all the info this forum has to offer

I have a 2006 I just bought it smokes when I first hit gas like a whitish grey I replaced carb with oem ezgo carb changed oil air filter spark plugs compression is 170 in one cylinder and 175 in the other runs Great but smoke a little heavy for like 2 seconds then thins out to almost nothing what could my problem be guy I bought it from barely used it I put new fuel and fuel lines and fuel pump as well oem fuel pump and adjusted valves to spec still have same issue I put 1.5 quarts of oil also
Tommybh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo txt 295 Robin smokes

Sounds like valve seals dried up and cracked. Probably smokes under heavy load as well. Just little caps on the valve guides.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:23 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Does your spark plugs look like this ? Mine also smokes when you let it sit for a while . Even though it don't fog the neighborhood I can still see a a little smoke come out when driving it hard even after it warms up but nothing like when I first start it after sitting for several days.

Believe it or not this cart still runs great and it also has 170 pounds of compression on both cylinders.

I just have not took time to check the valve seals .

This engine is in my wife's workhorse and I plan on looking into this in the next few weeks. Could be oil rings also because the engine that was installed in this cart came from a cart that had sit in a field for over 10 years I was told.

I would like to think the valve seals are the cause . Its never fouled a plug even though this one looks pretty bad . It starts the second you hit the pedal and runs great. Go figure

I think she has used about three tanks of gas and I never added any oil that I can remember

I put new plugs in it back in early 2019 and my wife has used it since. I just looked at these plugs last week to confirm compression and just stuck them back in. at least the valve guides are getting lubricated
I may have to cook the muffler now or just stick one I have on it.
I will know more in the next few weeks and update the progress if I ever get back to my shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my workhorse spark plug.jpg (187.0 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
Tommybh
Getting Wild

Thanks guys I am placing the order for the valve seals now I’m hoping that’s what it is and not rings I can hit gas and it will smoke heavy for 4-5 seconds max then it’s not noticeable if it sits for 20 seconds and I hit the gas it smokes again and thins out it’s heavy when I hit that gas after it sits any amount of time not sure if that matters
Old 05-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #5
Tommybh
Getting Wild

And yes the plugs I took out where black and slightly wet didn’t have that build up on them though
Old 05-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommybh View Post
And yes the plugs I took out where black and slightly wet didn’t have that build up on them though
Mine didn't have this much build up on it last year. You see what they look like now.

Let us know if that solves your problem and I might give mine a go. I really think mine is the oil rings but will know more if and when I do the job.

I assume you know how to do this valve seal thing the best way ?

Watch out for those flying valve keepers lol
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #7
Tommybh
Getting Wild

I’ve seen people mention the nylon rope through spark plug hole to fill the cylinder then compress the rope to hold the valves method to keep the valve from falling in .. my air air compressor is crap so don’t need that failing on me
Old 05-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommybh View Post
I’ve seen people mention the nylon rope through spark plug hole to fill the cylinder then compress the rope to hold the valves method to keep the valve from falling in .. my air air compressor is crap so don’t need that failing on me
The rope trick does work. Just make sure it's small diameter and don't try to compress it too much.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #9
Tommybh
Getting Wild

What diameter rope should I get do you know roughly how many feet it takes to fill it ?
Old 05-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yes, the rope *can* work...

However, You can remove the head without removing the engine. Although it only takes about 20 minutes to remove the engine... that 20 minutes spent pulling the engine will make up for the time you’ll spend fighting for space to get around the timing belt cover and etc. not to mention the pain saved not working through a hole under the seat... I hate bending over unnecessarily. Plus, those little valve keepers can be a PITA and fly across the shop, never to be seen again. Or with my luck you’ll find them a couple months later after you’ve already ordered new ones and got the cart back together and running I like the control of not doing things over a floor through a hole in a cramped spot.

IMO Some things aren’t worth the hassle of trying to find workarounds. And I don’t like putting things inside the cylinder that don’t belong. I’d pull the head if I were doing it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO