lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
mycamel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Thinking about going Lithium soon

We are moving to a home which is 2 miles from a course. I'm not sure my 4 year old batteries will make the round trip including 27 holes of golf.

I've been waiting to a good drop in system.

Has anyone tried these?

https://ecobattery.com/products/36v-72ah-bundle

For $1300, with charger it looks too good to be true.
mycamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Thinking about going Lithium soon

What are your carts details?

My cart gets around 21 miles of range at 24 mph with 4 people on it. That pack would not do 27 holes, travel to and travel from if your cart is exactly the same as mine and you drive it the same way at the same speeds.

You are facing an uphill battle here... 36V has less available watts than 48V at the same amp hours, and your pack is smaller than the 100 ah 'normal' lithium pack size.

If your cart has the stock controller on stock wheels at 15 or 17mph then you may get the range you need. If you are golfing with 3 other people on the cart, have larger tires or low pressure tires or higher speeds then I'd bet a 36V72AH pack won't make all 27 holes and get back home.

I have no first hand knowledge of a lithium pack being actually used for golf, nevermind how far 27 holes are, so take my estimation with a grain of salt... ;)
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Read this thread, may help
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=173142
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
mycamel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
What are your carts details?

My cart gets around 21 miles of range at 24 mph with 4 people on it. That pack would not do 27 holes, travel to and travel from if your cart is exactly the same as mine and you drive it the same way at the same speeds.

You are facing an uphill battle here... 36V has less available watts than 48V at the same amp hours, and your pack is smaller than the 100 ah 'normal' lithium pack size.

If your cart has the stock controller on stock wheels at 15 or 17mph then you may get the range you need. If you are golfing with 3 other people on the cart, have larger tires or low pressure tires or higher speeds then I'd bet a 36V72AH pack won't make all 27 holes and get back home.

I have no first hand knowledge of a lithium pack being actually used for golf, nevermind how far 27 holes are, so take my estimation with a grain of salt... ;)

27 holes is about 10 miles. So I'm looking at a 14 mile round trip.....

I have a brand new "stock" motor with an 5 year old Alltrax controller.

Only 2 people can ride on my cart at once. By removing the lead acid cells, I'll shed about 300 lbs which should help a bunch

I run the 14" low profile ezgo rim/tires.

I guess my real question was if anybody had tried these Eco EB batteries yet.
mycamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So it *sounds* to me like you should be fine getting 14 miles out of a 36v 72ah pack. I know you have an aftermarket controller so just know that going faster reduces efficiency at an incredible rate and kills range. My guess is that the butter zone for efficiency is in the 15 to 17mph range.

I do not know of anyone who has tried EB yet.

Supposedly RoyPow has a great price point but I've been unable to find someplace online advertising the price of the RoyPow S3880 pack.

I see https://bigbattery.com/products/36v-...o4-116ah-5kwh/ is 116ah for $399 more than EB and it includes the charger also, same issue where I have no reputational info on them. But at 116ah it is 62% more capacity than the 72ah battery you mentioned. I am not recommending this company, just saw that and figured I'd post for comparison.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I purchased the ECObattery (48V 72AH) bundle. I'm finishing up my install this week, so stay tuned. It's a 2003 TXT and the battery drops right in the stock mounting brackets. Overall I'm impressed with the "48V TXT bundle"...comes with battery pack, on-board charger, SOC meter, mounting strap (a basic rachet-strap with hooks) and a 48-12V reducer for the lights. It's paired to an Alltrax 400 that I'm limiting to about 5500 rpm. Looking forward to seeing what the actual range will be, but this isn't a golf car, it gets us around our little beach town. Longest round-trip anywhere is about 7 miles. The main goal was to replace the 6 year-old 36v Duracells with a 48v conversion for more speed to keep up around town. The (alleged) pack life, low maintenance, lighter weight are all just icing on the cake. It does also reduce the weight of your wallet, but you already knew that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6218.jpg (140.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6219.jpg (134.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6220.jpg (91.8 KB, 0 views)
grtskydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

GRTSKYDOG, I don't know what your tire diameter is, but if they are 21" tires then 5500 rpm will get you 28 and a half mph. That should do nicely for the beach community. The higher speed tied with better acceleration due to less weight and less voltage sag should make for a nice cruiser.

I mounted my charger in the same location except I raised mine up an inch and put a weather barrier under it and then a few inches above the charger I put another weather barrier. I get they are supposed to be weather resistant, but plastic is cheap insurance in that regard.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

bronson,
I'm hoping for exactly that. I'll have to check the parts bin...I haven't mounted the charger yet and I like the idea of protecting it. I'll probably cut some extra 1/4" HPDE sheet and make a floor in that rear battery rack for extra storage also. Keep a spare extension cord in there and charge anywhere.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #9
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

EcoBattery install is done. Everything seems to be working good. The cart is obviously a whole different animal than the 36V stock controller with "speed chip" even with the initial conservative settings I have in the Alltrax (see below).

If you're considering the EcoBattery, PAY ATTENTION:
As of my writing this, when you click on the data sheet for the 48V 72AH battery, the spec sheet says:
Max continuous- 150A
Max 30 sec- 300A
Max 3 sec- 600A

HOWEVER, the tag on my battery specifies:
Max continuous- 75A
Max 5 scec- 200A
Max 1 sec- 600A

Take this info however you like, but that's a HUGE discrepancy. To the OP, I don't know about the 36V, or if their specs have a similar error, but I'd check. Like I said, the battery is working great, but the jury's out on performance specifics . I need to do more test runs and log data on the Alltrax before I give a final evaluation. I suspect it will be fine. I do intend to contact EcoBattery about this and try to clarify it.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:18 PM   #10
Dieselnut
Not Yet Wild

The specs on the website are correct. The BMS was upgraded but the battery decals didn’t get made in time to reflect the upgrades. It can handle anything you throw at it.
Dieselnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO