lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #1
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Need new a BMS- Need some help

Have had a CHargery BMS for my setup and it has failed again.

Looking for some input on what to go with and what would be the easiest conversion from the chargery setup.

Was looking at the Chinese BMS with Bluetooth that sergio used. has anyone had any issues with this or is it still a decent option? If so is there any reason I should go with the higher amp model or is the 20 amp adequate?

Was also thinking about spending the extra $ and converting over to the Zeva. Except it looks like its on backorder. Dont really wont to be without a bms and longer than i have to

Whats my best option right now to get running safely again
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need new a BMS- Need some help

Search for PingEye3 posts; pretty sure there is a good one recently with a lot of good BMS info (including his thoughts on the Zeva).
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Search for PingEye3 posts; pretty sure there is a good one recently with a lot of good BMS info (including his thoughts on the Zeva).
I did a quick search for Pingeye3's ZEVA comments and found this: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...8&postcount=14

But in reading THIS post I don't see the substantive reason for "Toss the ZEVA in the trash" comment.

I've been running my ZEVA since October of 2018 and have not had any issues with it.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #4
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I did a quick search for Pingeye3's ZEVA comments and found this: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...8&postcount=14

But in reading THIS post I don't see the substantive reason for "Toss the ZEVA in the trash" comment.

I've been running my ZEVA since October of 2018 and have not had any issues with it.
Dave, those are my opinions on Zeva. I know there are lots of them being used successfully out there without issues. McJefe with a nice long lithium post on BGW is still running two packs with Zeva, but the last pack he built was with Chinese BMS. I had issues that I never had with the Chinese version, thus my comments.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
Dave, those are my opinions on Zeva. I know there are lots of them being used successfully out there without issues. McJefe with a nice long lithium post on BGW is still running two packs with Zeva, but the last pack he built was with Chinese BMS. I had issues that I never had with the Chinese version, thus my comments.
I’ll look though the post and try and figure out how to make the changes to use the Chinese bms. Ping eye- where are you purchasing Chinese bms from. Is the 20a model the one you are using?
Old 08-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I used a Daly on my latest lithium build. It's not connected to monitor current. I only use it for over/under voltages, balancing and temp. I like it better than the Xiaoxiang. It also has a higher BT signal. I can now monitor my battery charging w/o having to get right next to them. And contrary to popular belief all of the Chinese goods are not junk. The only problems I've had are warranty questions. BTW you can get one on Amazon for about a $100.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:43 PM   #7
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
I’ll look though the post and try and figure out how to make the changes to use the Chinese bms. Ping eye- where are you purchasing Chinese bms from. Is the 20a model the one you are using?
I use this one which is rated for 100A. However, I only use it over the 20A version because with this version, it allows mounting in a box on the side of my packs, leaving the connections to Bluetooth and tap harness on one end. This makes the box easy to use. If using the 20A version the 4 pin connection for the laptop or Bluetooth connection on the side of the board. This makes for inconvenient hole access to the 4 pin plug.

The 1st pic is of the BMS mounted in an aluminum box which I also got from same place. I have since purchased a 3D printer and designed my own box so I would not have to cut end plates for the connectors. Also use it to print the Leaf module pack terminal covers, charge receptacle plates, digital meter adapters when mounting rectangle meters in 2" round holes, etc

2nd pic shows the prep to the aluminum box, now no longer used.

I've made so many packs that I seem to have stopped taking pictures, I don't have a pic of the 3D printed box, but it turned out great.

You will notice two #10 wires soldered to the board for the B- and C- connection to the BMS. I cut one of each of them off and then splice a #12 to each one for pack connections. as only the charge current is passing thru the BMS.

I am attaching two drawings used for this BMS. One is my standard drawing, the second is with Sergio's relay setup added to my drawing. Allowing you to wire it either way. Drawings are setup for 11x17 paper.

You can read up on the Chinese BMS and Sergio mods on this link -
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...ght=sergio+bms

BMS Link

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...ebe9e32eab62-0

And if you go with the BMS I use, PM me for a box to go with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190417_114121995.jpg (205.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191001_134849855.jpg (368.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lithium 7 Cell Pack w Bluetooth- Tap Harness.pdf (119.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Lithium 7 Cell Pack w Bluetooth - Tap Harness & Sergio Mod.pdf (272.6 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
I get that. And your opinion certainly means a lot. I'm far from doing installs that you have done and have experience with.

I just don't know (maybe I didn't read the correct post?) the failure they have caused you.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #9
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I use only “Chinese” BMS’s, not only for cart use but for all my lithium builds. I’ve built tiny two cell 2Ah packs (with $2.00 BMS’s) and large 42 cell 120Ah packs, always with “Chinese” BMS’s.

I’ve never had one fail, NEVER.

Now, I’m not saying that they don’t fail, any piece of electronics can fail, regardless of how expensive it is or where it was made.

When it comes to cart use, as long as you don’t try to pass motor current through the It, the Chinese BMS will be just as reliable as anything else you purchase, especially JBD, who are an OEM manufacturer for some name brand BMS’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
is there any reason I should go with the higher amp model or is the 20 amp adequate?
I always like to over spec and that will help reduce failures. I use 60A - 100A on my cart builds. Using a larger BMS will also enable you to use a larger charger as the charge current is passed through the BMS. I charge my 21 module Leaf pack with a 35A charger. It has a 60A BMS on it. It will fully charge the pack (120Ah) from empty in around 3.5 hours.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #10
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I use this one which is rated for 100A. However, I only use it over the 20A version because with this version, it allows mounting in a box on the side of my packs, leaving the connections to Bluetooth and tap harness on one end. This makes the box easy to use. If using the 20A version the 4 pin connection for the laptop or Bluetooth connection on the side of the board. This makes for inconvenient hole access to the 4 pin plug.

The 1st pic is of the BMS mounted in an aluminum box which I also got from same place. I have since purchased a 3D printer and designed my own box so I would not have to cut end plates for the connectors. Also use it to print the Leaf module pack terminal covers, charge receptacle plates, digital meter adapters when mounting rectangle meters in 2" round holes, etc

2nd pic shows the prep to the aluminum box, now no longer used.

I've made so many packs that I seem to have stopped taking pictures, I don't have a pic of the 3D printed box, but it turned out great.

You will notice two #10 wires soldered to the board for the B- and C- connection to the BMS. I cut one of each of them off and then splice a #12 to each one for pack connections. as only the charge current is passing thru the BMS.

I am attaching two drawings used for this BMS. One is my standard drawing, the second is with Sergio's relay setup added to my drawing. Allowing you to wire it either way. Drawings are setup for 11x17 paper.

You can read up on the Chinese BMS and Sergio mods on this link -
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...ght=sergio+bms

BMS Link

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...ebe9e32eab62-0

And if you go with the BMS I use, PM me for a box to go with it.

thank you very much for the detailed write up!. I wills end you a PM on the box. Will probably go ahead and order this BMS . Thanks again for all the help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car