lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2022, 04:04 PM   #11
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2022 Icon programming cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloomfield View Post
Yeah, it's all dependent on having the programming software. At that point you can listen to the messages going to the controller and the responses from the controller. Once you have that then the real fun starts - trying to decode and decipher the messages. If the serial comms is encrypted then it's game over, but if it's clear then there's a chance. And honestly why would you encrypt the data other than to stop folks like us messing around with the controller.
I see the angle you're going at. I'd much prefer decompiling the software over that method, but if it can't easily be decompiled, then your way is a logical next step...but man that'd be tough because even if you figured out things on your cart...who knows how it might differ on other carts.

There might be 1 flipped bit that forks the entire communication protocol. Like a bit/flag that says "display all communications in RPM or MPH" and then everything would be off.

I just really want to see the software. I have a buddy moving near me in March and he's set on getting a golf cart, so I might have my hands on a 2022 around then.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2022, 04:58 PM   #12
BobInDaytona
Getting Wild

I think I may have misspoke one item yesterday - I will try to confirm
tomorrow. I said without the "password", you cannot change anything.
I have been informed that you can change "basic things" whatever that
means.
I do know that the software is useless without a cart - it will not display
any parameters unless it is connected.

You might be able to upload saved data, and it may display it cartless, I
do not know. I will be getting an opportunity tomorrow to play with the
SW with a cart...
BobInDaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #13
Dawgman25
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info and updates! My dealer worked pretty hard on mine since it was his first try at a 2022. Had a hard time saving changes and it would keep going back to default. Still waiting for more details, but he is busy.

I will say he did a pretty nice job. First 2 days I just drove on the roads. Got it up to 36mph on the flats. Takes a while, but gets up to 20mph pretty fast. Rides very comfortably at 30mph. I added spacers and GTW Fusion tires, so much more stable. On the golf course though, it is FAST. Takes off really fast, have to really feather the pedal in areas you need to go slow. I am pretty sure I could play a round of golf in 2 hours if no one was ahead of me. Strange feeling going 30mph down the fairway to your ball. Suspension and brakes are so much better than normal golf carts. I tried to do a little power slide one time and the brakes just shut the cart down so fast, no slide. Lol

Looks like we just need software and a bit more understanding of the best way to program this and we will be good to go!
Dawgman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #14
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgman25 View Post
Thanks for the info and updates! My dealer worked pretty hard on mine since it was his first try at a 2022. Had a hard time saving changes and it would keep going back to default. Still waiting for more details, but he is busy.

I will say he did a pretty nice job. First 2 days I just drove on the roads. Got it up to 36mph on the flats. Takes a while, but gets up to 20mph pretty fast. Rides very comfortably at 30mph. I added spacers and GTW Fusion tires, so much more stable. On the golf course though, it is FAST. Takes off really fast, have to really feather the pedal in areas you need to go slow. I am pretty sure I could play a round of golf in 2 hours if no one was ahead of me. Strange feeling going 30mph down the fairway to your ball. Suspension and brakes are so much better than normal golf carts. I tried to do a little power slide one time and the brakes just shut the cart down so fast, no slide. Lol

Looks like we just need software and a bit more understanding of the best way to program this and we will be good to go!
I'm shocked they let you on the course with your own cart. My local course says the fast ones tear them up. Those GTW tires probably make a difference though.

Your experience sounds the same as my 2021. Fastest I hit is 38 and it's scary. Flats I'm cruising 30.

I'm still wondering their reason for the change? Maybe cheaper?

Excited to hear what everyone finds out though.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:56 PM   #15
Dawgman25
Not Yet Wild

[QUOTE=ATrain;1872639]I'm shocked they let you on the course with your own cart. My local course says the fast ones tear them up. Those GTW tires probably make a difference though.

They have no idea it is fast....yet. But most of the carts in my CC are custom, so who knows. I didn't get asked about it. Not sure how it would tear it up unless I am going through wet areas. But I am in the desert, so no real issues there.

Mine gets up to 20mph pretty fast, then has a bit of a lull and steadily climbs up to 30, then around 35, but I usually run out of fairway before that. Can do it on the road. Not sure what RPM's they reprogrammed to, but very quiet, solid, and smooth. I can't compare from stock tires, but I am sure the upgraded tires and spacers help.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:47 AM   #16
BobInDaytona
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
I'm still wondering their reason for the change? Maybe cheaper?

Excited to hear what everyone finds out though.
They changed controllers because they could not get Toyota controllers anymore, or not enough of them to keep building carts...

From what I can tell from the few carts I have seen so far, the new
controller still needs work. It does funny things sometimes - seems like
there may still be firmware bugs. One of the most annoying things I've
seen is that when you turn the key off, it releases the EM brake momentarily, then when power is really gone, the brake re-engages. If you are on a slight or worse incline, the cart jerks backwards... Maybe they have already fixed that, not sure, have not looked at code build and version numbers.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:10 AM   #17
BobInDaytona
Getting Wild

[quote=Dawgman25;1872647]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
I'm shocked they let you on the course with your own cart. My local course says the fast ones tear them up. Those GTW tires probably make a difference though.

They have no idea it is fast....yet. But most of the carts in my CC are custom, so who knows. I didn't get asked about it. Not sure how it would tear it up unless I am going through wet areas. But I am in the desert, so no real issues there.

Mine gets up to 20mph pretty fast, then has a bit of a lull and steadily climbs up to 30, then around 35, but I usually run out of fairway before that. Can do it on the road. Not sure what RPM's they reprogrammed to, but very quiet, solid, and smooth. I can't compare from stock tires, but I am sure the upgraded tires and spacers help.
Maybe you should wire up the slow speed circuit, but it on a key lock, and if they challenge you, put it in slow mode and let them take it for a speed test.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:54 AM   #18
ATrain
Gone Wild

[quote=BobInDaytona;1872710]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgman25 View Post

Maybe you should wire up the slow speed circuit, but it on a key lock, and if they challenge you, put it in slow mode and let them take it for a speed test.
I thought of that, but it's their "policy" so it's usually some random hourly worker who just says "no outside carts, sorry". It's a profit center for them to rent the carts is the reason, so there's no changing their mind.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:02 PM   #19
Dawgman25
Not Yet Wild

My place is a private country club and most members have their own carts. Lots of crazy custom carts and most look like they go much faster than the stock golf carts. Hopefully nothing to worry about. Sounds like Toyota is pulling out of the golf cart business and focusing instead on forklift controllers.

I have noticed that strange sequence when I turn off the cart, but that is usually in my driveway or a parking spot, so always flat. I would like to ramp up my reverse a bit more and play with the acceleration curve. In due time.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:04 PM   #20
Getrdone813
Not Yet Wild

Is there anyone in the Tallahassee fl area that want to make some money for a software upgrade on a 2019 icon I’ve got a friend that plays football for FSU that needs help I just can’t make it for a while message me if interested
Getrdone813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon