lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2022, 01:17 PM   #61
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2022 Icon programming cable

Has anyone tried without using the 4th pin/wire? I was told these new 2022 controllers are a copy of a Curtis controller. Curtis controllers only use 3 wires in the 1309 communication cable (club car & ezgo) I am wondering if the Curtis cable would work on the icon carts- they only use 3 wires but the pin out for tx,rx, and ground r the same. The Curtis cable costs more but would be nice to just have 1 cable rather than 5-6…

Curtis is really proud of that 1309 programming cable but it can be made for around 50 bucks and some eprom edits to the usb ttl adapter.

Furthermore- I wonder if the Curtis software would recognize the Chinese copy?!?
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2022, 01:35 PM   #62
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
Has anyone tried without using the 4th pin/wire? I was told these new 2022 controllers are a copy of a Curtis controller. Curtis controllers only use 3 wires in the 1309 communication cable (club car & ezgo) I am wondering if the Curtis cable would work on the icon carts- they only use 3 wires but the pin out for tx,rx, and ground r the same. The Curtis cable costs more but would be nice to just have 1 cable rather than 5-6…

Curtis is really proud of that 1309 programming cable but it can be made for around 50 bucks and some eprom edits to the usb ttl adapter.

Furthermore- I wonder if the Curtis software would recognize the Chinese copy?!?
Who told you that? I spoke with somebody at the ICON factory and he said they stopped using the Toyota ones because of availability since they're used heavily with forklifts. He said the Chinese company they work with made their own to accommodate all of their needs.

This could have been a line they sort of repeat though and perhaps they did copy things from Curtis?
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:34 PM   #63
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
Who told you that? I spoke with somebody at the ICON factory and he said they stopped using the Toyota ones because of availability since they're used heavily with forklifts. He said the Chinese company they work with made their own to accommodate all of their needs.

This could have been a line they sort of repeat though and perhaps they did copy things from Curtis?
i read it on a post somewhere on the **** internet, who knows if its true, i know there are Chinese knockoffs of the Curtis controllers out there so i wouldn't be surprised.

the reason i ask about the 4th pin and the Curtis cables is because on the regular Curtis controllers you do not need the 4th wire for pc programming, but the handheld programmer uses all 4 wires. when i look at the pinout for the Curtis communication cable it is the same as the pinout for this controller aside from the 4th wire not being connected on the Curtis cable... but the curtis handheld programmer does use all 4 wires, i guess the 4th wire provides power to the handset? would be neat if the curtis cable was plug and play with these carts considering the same cable works for a ton of curtis controllers(club car & ezgo, in addition to many forklifts.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:57 PM   #64
__JAG__
Getting Wild

All the electrical wiring diagrams I have seen online only show 3 wires going to the programming port. Do the carts actually have 4? I can check later this week after I receive my i40. Picking it up on Thursday.
__JAG__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 05:00 PM   #65
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by __JAG__ View Post
All the electrical wiring diagrams I have seen online only show 3 wires going to the programming port. Do the carts actually have 4? I can check later this week after I receive my i40. Picking it up on Thursday.
2019-2021 carts used a Toyota neos controller which only uses 3 wires- the 2022 vehicles have a new controller and use all 4 pins and have 4 wires for programming. See the sticky in this section for controller iDentification. It shows/ explains the differences there.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:48 PM   #66
__JAG__
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
2019-2021 carts used a Toyota neos controller which only uses 3 wires- the 2022 vehicles have a new controller and use all 4 pins and have 4 wires for programming. See the sticky in this section for controller iDentification. It shows/ explains the differences there.
Makes sense. All the drawings out there must be for the older Toyota controller.
__JAG__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:41 AM   #67
derelicte
Gone Wild

I haven't built my cable yet but I suspect that the extra wire is to power the handheld controller and isn't necessary. This is my next project after I finish the stereo.
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:17 AM   #68
bluer101
Not Yet Wild

Thank you to all, just finished my cable.
bluer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #69
derelicte
Gone Wild

I built my cable and got it working last night. I used a ftdi usb to 0.100" header cable because I had a couple of those lying around. I basically made an adapter that goes between the ftdi header and the 4 pin molex programming connector in the cart. I only hooked up 3 wires. The 4th wire isn't needed in my case.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...2R-3V3/1836393

I found a few weird quirks with the sw while I was playing around. It seems like you need to run the app as administrator and I don't recall this being mentioned here. Also, if you don't run as admin the ICON logo in the upper right changes to LVTong. I thought that was funny.

Now the fun begins!
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #70
Lambert
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post

It seems like you need to run the app as administrator and I don't recall this being mentioned here. Also, if you don't run as admin the ICON logo in the upper right changes to LVTong.

Now the fun begins!
If I try to switch the software to administrator, it asks for a password. Of course I don't have one. Am I doing something wrong or is there a default password to use?
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon