lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #71
atl3128
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 04 precedent lithium conversion??

So Ive decided to take advice and return the 4 12v lifep04 batteries for a refund and buy a 48v battery pack. I'm looking at this 90-120ah thoughts on this but any suggestions I'm open to
https://batteryevo.com/48v-lithium-i...solar-storage/
atl3128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2022, 01:26 PM   #72
Dallas@Eco Battery
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl3128 View Post
So Ive decided to take advice and return the 4 12v lifep04 batteries for a refund and buy a 48v battery pack. I'm looking at this 90-120ah thoughts on this but any suggestions I'm open to
https://batteryevo.com/48v-lithium-i...solar-storage/
I see a couple of things worth pointing out in the link you provided.

That pack is a 65A/120A max discharge which means that even a stock cart will likely be knocking on the limits of the BMS.

The header on the site says their batteries are, "Manufactured from Overstock, Repurposed, and Surplus Cells."

Those are three separate packs so you will likely need to fabricate a custom mount for them.

Besides needing to fabricate your mounts, you may also need a charger, additional cables, a 12 volt reducer, charging port, SOT gauge, etc.

Just making you're aware that there may be other things to consider when looking at inexpensive lithium options at face value.
Dallas@Eco Battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:12 PM   #73
atl3128
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas@Eco Battery View Post

That pack is a 65A/120A max discharge which means that even a stock cart will likely be knocking on the limits of the BMS.

The header on the site says their batteries are, "Manufactured from Overstock, Repurposed, and Surplus Cells."

Those are three separate packs so you will likely need to fabricate a custom mount for them.

Besides needing to fabricate your mounts, you may also need a charger, additional cables, a 12 volt reducer, charging port, SOT gauge, etc.

Just making you're aware that there may be other things to consider when looking at inexpensive lithium options at face value.
Thanks for responding and pointing that out. I'm looking for something in the 60-120ah range any suggestions?
Old 07-15-2022, 02:22 PM   #74
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas@Eco Battery View Post

That pack is a 65A/120A max discharge which means that even a stock cart will likely be knocking on the limits of the BMS. .

That is per each 30aH battery pack. There are 3 batteries in the set so ~195A/360A for the 90aH pack.

However the points for the additional items necessary (meter, charger, etc) are valid. I also would draw a red flag at the warranty being 1 year for BMS and 3 years for cells, which is way less than anyone else. Even if the $1600 price were all inclusive for everything you need, IMO the additional warranty for some of the bigger brands would be worth the extra money for peace of mind. The fact that the other companies will offer 2-3 times the warranty time tells me it’s a much better quality product, made with higher quality cells and other components, and they’ll stand behind it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:25 PM   #75
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl3128 View Post
Thanks for responding and pointing that out. I'm looking for something in the 60-120ah range any suggestions?
Allied and eco battery both offer what you’re looking for, and I’ve seen/read nothing but positive about both. I personally own the allied and have no complaints whatsoever. Www.plowmanscarts.com has great prices on them and he usually keeps them in stock. Eco is a good option as well, they have a 72aH kit if you can find them in stock somewhere
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:22 PM   #76
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Are you still having issues with your 4x12v setup even though you’re charging with a 4 bank lithium charger?

The linked batteries are also 12s NMC. 48v NMC should be at least 13s or preferably 14s, so the voltage will be low with a 12s setup.

As Dallas already pointed out, they use repurposed cells. Although I built my own pack using repurposed NMC cells for my cart, I would not recommend them for others as their remaining life will be shortened and NMC is a volatile chemistry. It is unknown how those cells were treated in their previous application and NMC is prone to fire when abused. A mistreated NMC cell can perform well for a while but then experience thermal runaway and fire during charging many months later. Buyer beware.

Purchase from a reputable supplier such as Eco or Allied and you’ll have maintenance free batteries with no issues for many years to come.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:25 PM   #77
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Cutting corners or going cheap isn't a good recipe for a successful Lithium Conversion. You often end up with the wrong undersized batteries. I agree with Pat that used batteries are a risk - one I have taken in both of my builds - but I would not recommend doing that unless you have lots of EE experience.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:52 PM   #78
atl3128
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Are you still having issues with your 4x12v setup even though you’re charging with a 4 bank lithium charger?

The linked batteries are also 12s NMC. 48v NMC should be at least 13s or preferably 14s, so the voltage will be low with a 12s setup.

As Dallas already pointed out, they use repurposed cells. Although I built my own pack using repurposed NMC cells for my cart, I would not recommend them for others as their remaining life will be shortened and NMC is a volatile chemistry. It is unknown how those cells were treated in their previous application and NMC is prone to fire when abused. A mistreated NMC cell can perform well for a while but then experience thermal runaway and fire during charging many months later. Buyer beware.

Purchase from a reputable supplier such as Eco or Allied and you’ll have maintenance free batteries with no issues for many years to come.

Cheers
Pat.
Yeah I'm gonna go with allied I found a local allied dealer that has their commercial 105ah in stock for $1900 charger included. The issue I am having is that when I charge them 3 will charge to 14.4 but one will only get to 14v. Once I take them off charge they all eventually equal out to 13.5v each. The seller gave me the option to return them at full refund so I figured I'd take advantage of it. I paid $1500 plus $360 for the 4 bank charger so going with allied seems like a better option.
Old 07-16-2022, 01:55 AM   #79
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Looks like the one battery that is only charging to 14v has unbalanced cells, hence the BMS is tripping when one cell gets to 3.65v. Best you go with a quality battery.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 04:00 AM   #80
atl3128
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Looks like the one battery that is only charging to 14v has unbalanced cells, hence the BMS is tripping when one cell gets to 3.65v. Best you go with a quality battery.

Cheers
Pat.
Yeah for sure. I'm gonna grab the allied pack Monday. Thanks for the help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car