lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2023, 05:08 PM   #11
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Big Battery

Your going to get https://bigbattery.com/products/48v-...id=ButtonsCamp with this Honey Badger 2X 56AH (As it does state the spec's for a single battery) a Max Continous current of 126amps and a max peak of (126x2)=252amps for 6 seconds.

It's really going to depend upon what your cart demands in the conditions that you drive. You don't mention if you can hook up a laptop with software that will acquire the amp draw you are using while driving your "usual" routines with the cart.

That would be very helpful to determine if this Honey Badger setup would handle your demands.

To me, even driving "mildly" you would be close to the edge of what the pack can do. But again, it may very well do you fine......but if you can get the amp draw you are using now....that would tell you the real story.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2023, 06:59 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I don’t know about series. But my DS is an IQ. it never really pulls more than about 70 amps continuous at full speed. I have stock controller and upgrade motor. Peak rarely exceeds 150 amps and that’s not often.

That said, I’m not a fan of the honey badger. To echo what VA said, pretty sure that’s a 12S configuration which is less than desirable. And the honey badgers are NMC so not very tolerant of over or undercharging. I believe we had a member here have one of these that the BMS failed and set the cart ablaze so I question big battery’s BMS.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:31 PM   #13
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I don’t know about series. But my DS is an IQ. it never really pulls more than about 70 amps continuous at full speed. I have stock controller and upgrade motor. Peak rarely exceeds 150 amps and that’s not often.

That said, I’m not a fan of the honey badger. To echo what VA said, pretty sure that’s a 12S configuration which is less than desirable. And the honey badgers are NMC so not very tolerant of over or undercharging. I believe we had a member here have one of these that the BMS failed and set the cart ablaze so I question big battery’s BMS.
I started to question big battery when I saw they pair chargers that don't even match the batteries requirements with them..
augiedoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:25 PM   #14
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
NMC is usually 58.8V charger (14S) It looks like they are doing a 12S setup which IMO isn't ideal.
BB’s voltages and cell configurations are all over the place. Absolutely no consistency between their products.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:00 AM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:

That's good information to know. A printout or data file that has what your cart draws in amps is going to tell you what you "need" when looking to switch to a lithium.

I've attached a PDF file of the amp draw I did back in 2018. IIRC, when I let off the go peddle, there was no power to the controller it that "time frame" and thus no reading of power draw. (Because there was no power draw). In any event, it's a snippet into the needs of what power I need for the "driving in places" that I go.

And this was just taking a ride around my house and "over the hill" and back.

If you look at this file you can see there are several "time periods" that are over a 100amp draw for over six seconds. As such, the battery pack that the OP is looking at would never fit my needs.

Anyway, I uploaded a PDF file so if anyone would want to review it, they wouldn't be concerned of any attached 'puter virus. (At least....I don't think a virus can be attached to a PDF file.....but then....... )
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Controller Data Cart.pdf (171.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-2023, 07:20 AM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
That's good information to know. A printout or data file that has what your cart draws in amps is going to tell you what you "need" when looking to switch to a lithium.

I've attached a PDF file of the amp draw I did back in 2018. IIRC, when I let off the go peddle, there was no power to the controller it that "time frame" and thus no reading of power draw. (Because there was no power draw). In any event, it's a snippet into the needs of what power I need for the "driving in places" that I go.

And this was just taking a ride around my house and "over the hill" and back.

If you look at this file you can see there are several "time periods" that are over a 100amp draw for over six seconds. As such, the battery pack that the OP is looking at would never fit my needs.

Anyway, I uploaded a PDF file so if anyone would want to review it, they wouldn't be concerned of any attached 'puter virus. (At least....I don't think a virus can be attached to a PDF file.....but then....... )
Is that the same log you’ve posted in the past? If so you may be confusing battery current with output current. They’re very different in the way that the controller manages the PWM output.

In the chart with the rest of the info you e posted in the past, you can see you peaked at 219 amps but only for a second. You would have only been over this setup’s 156 amp limit for 3 seconds so may not have ever tripped BMS. But I don’t know what the max 500ms or short circuit protect current kicks in at. That 219 amps may have tripped it but I’m not sure about the BB setup specs.

But still with a stock controller and motor I don’t think he would ever get near that.

I’d still opt for something else with the 16S config but for all intents and purposes, for the price it would probably work just fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1C60D679-7FCB-4965-BC79-C772A6A19258.jpeg (97.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:46 PM   #17
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Is that the same log you’ve posted in the past? If so you may be confusing battery current with output current. They’re very different in the way that the controller manages the PWM output.

In the chart with the rest of the info you e posted in the past, you can see you peaked at 219 amps but only for a second. You would have only been over this setup’s 156 amp limit for 3 seconds so may not have ever tripped BMS. But I don’t know what the max 500ms or short circuit protect current kicks in at. That 219 amps may have tripped it but I’m not sure about the BB setup specs.

But still with a stock controller and motor I don’t think he would ever get near that.

I’d still opt for something else with the 16S config but for all intents and purposes, for the price it would probably work just fine
I went back to my spreadsheet file and copy\pasted select columns of data. So, I did it again, (see the attached PDF file) and the data is still the same. As for the Battery Current, there are two times in this small snippet of a ride where the AMP draw exceeded 100amp. I thought the "exceed" point was 100 so that's why I have those "X".

The first time it exceed 100amp in a 5 second burst.

The second time (last page) it exceed 100 amp in a 7 second burst, and it exceeded the 219 point in 4 seconds....if you count the initial 219.

And thanks for pointing out it's "battery current" that matters and not (really?) output current. (Albeit for the life of me I can't understand how output current can get there without drawing that amount from the pack)

And one final matter: The data that I've posted was from a ride just behind\around my house, and not where I hunt and use the cart. The hills I climb where I hunt are just as steep as that short burst that starts at 10:13:29, except the distance's are ten to twenty times longer.

My point is that would I have the discussed Honey Badger pack, it's very likely I'd trip the BMS for shutdown. Now, I also hunt in cold (15-30 degree) which is harder on equipment in general. And, should I trip the Honey Badger pack, I don't know what the reset is. If the reset is to plug in my charger.....welp.....being back 2 miles or so in the woods......that's just not gonna happen!!

But all-in-all that's why I stated that if the OP could get readouts like I can get from my Alltrax, then he would be "armed" with the knowledge of what he actually needs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CART CURRENT PDF 2.pdf (206.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-2023, 01:00 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Dave, agree 1000%

Unfortunately OP has stock controller from what I’ve gathered… but I’ve not seen if it’s a series or IQ cart… just that it’s a CC DS. Series carts tend to have a larger current controller so I’m not sure how those really behave. I know what my stock IQ controller pulls but that may be apples to oranges… either way if he’s got a stock controller he can’t pull your fancy alltrax logs
Old 02-08-2023, 05:57 PM   #19
JamesVavra
Not Yet Wild

I've got a custom built machine - it's got the guts of a 36v EzGo PDS system but is a LOT heavier. For reference, in the attached photos, it's about 11' long, 4' wide, and those are 18" tires on it; the frame is 1.5" steel tube. When I put an ammeter on it, it looked like it would peak out at 350A (going uphill from a dead stop) and regularly drew over 100A for more than 5-10 seconds. Typical, at speed, level surface, not hauling any load had the draw around 75-80A.

Mine is mostly used for around the farm work - hauling logs, water, etc.

I upgraded the cables to 2ga but kept the stock controller and motor for now. Based on the above power draw, I ended up putting 2x 36v raptor (https://bigbattery.com/products/36v-...-64ah-2-40kwh/) batteries in parallel. It performs really well - top speeds are up by 10-20% and it doesn't slow at all when going uphill or carrying several hundred pounds of cargo. I haven't noticed an issue with the batteries being out of balance, but I can always charge them individually if I need to.

I'll probably need to swap out the controller and motor at some point. And, while I know 36v is really limiting me, it made sense at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7744.jpg (388.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7743.jpg (301.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7707.jpg (271.1 KB, 0 views)
JamesVavra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 03:53 PM   #20
djbeede
Not Yet Wild

I'm in the midst of a BigBattery install of the Twin Eagle kit (on sale now at 12% off). into my 2009 Club Car Precedent 48v IQ
Each battery is only 30ah, 38 lbs, with a
Max continuous discharge:
80A
Max Peak Discharge:
180A (over 6 seconds)
Since they're in parallel that all doubles.
160A Max cont.
and
360A Peak.
The cart has been in storage for about 9 years. It's stock with 3.3hp motor. All checks out except the Motor Controller, which is the original Curtis 250A MODEL: 1510A-5251.
Thanks to the input from DaveTP and Volt_Ampere and others, I'll be calling Alltrax in the morning to get one of their controllers on the way.

I use this cart on our hand full of acres on a lake in North Florida. Mostly flat with a occasional slight hill and some sand here and there. It's only 3 miles around our lake so I never need much range. Haul some tools or pull a cart lightly loaded, and an occasional small sailboat or paddle board haul.
Being 300lbs lighter is already noticeable just working on it. (It's like pushing a bike instead of an anvil.)
Fingers crossed, I'll keep you posted on performance, range and BigBattery's customer service.
djbeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car