lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Chuckd
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart Shuttering

I've looked through previous posts and found several different answers to my question. None what I was looking for though.

I have a 94 Club Cart, its 36v. The cart was shuttering during takeoff. It also would shutter once I was going and then put the throttle on the floor. I've replaced the batteries with new Trojans and also replaced the speed controller(since it went out). I've also replaced the brushes on the motor. The cart still shutters. I've also checked all the connections and they are all tight.

My question is, would bad cables make this problem occur? They do not appear to be the stock cables but they are 6-gauge. Would #4 make a difference in the performance? Or just fix the problem for that matter? I have not checked the v-glide or cleaned it for that matter.

I've been told by my local shop I'd need a motor after I bought all these parts from them. I'm trying to do the simple things before I jump into changing the motor.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Charlie
Chuckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cart Shuttering

Shuttering is almost always a battery dropping out under load. Have you load tested each individual battery? New batteries can have bad cells...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
Chuckd
Not Yet Wild

I was letting it charge, then I'll get a reading at rest, under load, and the entire set.
I'll post up the numbers tomorrow afternoon for you to look at.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Chuckd
Not Yet Wild

I hope its not a bad battery. Just bought 6 new ones. over $600.00 two weeks ago.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckd View Post
I hope its not a bad battery. Just bought 6 new ones. over $600.00 two weeks ago.
. . . should be under warranty . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is some information I came across on the Curtis Controller site. It may or may not apply in your case

FYI

M1 Field Min 1 – 10 A
Defines the minimum allowed current in the motor’s field winding when the vehicle is
traveling in the forward direction, operating in Mode 1. The forward Field Min setting
may affect the vehicle’s maximum speed and, to some extent, the smoothness with
which the vehicle starts and transitions between drive and regen. If the parameter
is set too high, the vehicle’s top speed will be reduced and torque bumps may be
evident when the vehicle is inched or changes direction

I like torque bumps better than shuttering :) Since you just replaced the controller this might be the problem.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . should be under warranty . . .
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

With the possibility of the field current being off I would check the wires going to the motor for corrosion or bad connections. Both ends.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Chuckd
Not Yet Wild

Good info guys. It was giving me "torque bumps" before I switched the batteries. New batteries didn't help much, thats why I was leaning toward cables. It has more speed with the new batteries, but still giving me "torque bumps".

The voltage for the entire pack stay around in the 35v range when driving. They drop to the 34v range when I start.

I like the info on the controller. Now all someone needs to do is translate it to english for me. The controller has no way of adjusting it. (Screw holes)
Old 11-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Chuckd
Not Yet Wild

I went out this morning and noticed this while I was checking the cables to the motor.

I grabbed the cables and noticed the lug was twisting with the cables really easy. I'm going to take the motor out after dinner and see if I can tighten them up.

I just changed the brushes. Maybe I didn't get them tight enough when I put it back together and over time they became more loose?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car