lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default RXV powerwise QE charger trash /repair??

ok, i know these light weight chargers are pieces of crap. I am getting quite a pile of them. I take the old bad ones in trade, and sell them a new DPI rxv charger.

Almost everyone of the QE chargers give the same 2 red flash code, and is not correct according to the fault codes.

I open these chargers up, and check the 2 fuses, since i can replace those. Once it goes beyond these 2 fuses, it is over my head.

Almost all these chargers, the 2 fuses are good, so something else has failed. Does anyone know what the most common part is that fail on these? If i cn figure out the part and a source to get them, i might be able to repaie some of these, and save some people some money.

Since EVERY SINGLE one i have ( about 6) have the same 2 red flash code, i am thinking the same part possibly is what fails.
So i am asking for help, guidance?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: RXV powerwise QE charger trash /repair??

FSIP repairs for reasonable price.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi tech, i know they do. I can get them rebuilt here locally for 140.00. But i am not looking for someone to rebuild them, I would rather replace them with a dpi charger.

What i am asking, is if anyone has experience with themselves diagnosing and fixing them.

If i can throw a quick fix on them, so my retired customers here can squeeze more life out one, till they can save money for the dpi.

Alot of my customers only get money once a month, so depending where the time lies when the charger goes down, they could be out for a month.
I don't have a bunch of "good" chargers to loan out, this happens alot here.

If i could replace whatever that same component is, to get it back in service temporarily. I'm with Scotty, i want these out of here also, i like the dpi's.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Have not found the problem in that charger. Fsip will buy your cores outright (but not for a ton of money). I understand your wishes to "squeeze that last dime out of that charger", but they fail so regularly, you could end up giving yourself a bad reputation rebuilding them and having them fail again.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #5
kaimukiguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I’m in the same boat. FSIP will rebuild but after shipping, not worth it. I have 100 of the delta we 48v chargers. 90 of them flashing 2 flashes, which is supposed to be low cart voltage. But the carts we text on are fully charged.

Id love to know if there is a common part going wrong. Fuses? Relay? Diodes?
Anyone have any ideas?
kaimukiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Have not found the problem in that charger. Fsip will buy your cores outright (but not for a ton of money). I understand your wishes to "squeeze that last dime out of that charger", but they fail so regularly, you could end up giving yourself a bad reputation rebuilding them and having them fail again.
Last I checked, FSIP deemed those as "high Demand" cores (I wonder why, LOL) and they were paying $20 each for them AND they were paying the freight. I agree with CGtech on this one, I would take the money and run.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I say find the cause and beat more service out of em... Somebody around here can make an educated guess and probably be on the money... you guys are pretty sharp... you need to throw us dummies a bone... if I had several of those chargers... or several anything really... I’d definitely take the time to isolate the inherent flaw and put the sorry bastards back to work... but then, resurrecting junk equipment is kinda my thang
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:51 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Let me preface this, I cannot reprogram QE, or SC-48 chargers, sorry, don't ask. (Nor ERIC yet, maybe the CC section can)

I did this with the Yamaha "jw2" chargers for a bit with a local electronics guy. If I recall correctly, he ran into mosfet driver chips fried by failed big mosfets. And the mosfet driver chip corruptig the logic chip that operates the the driver chip. Then no availability for the software for the base logic chip. A big pile of poo that rolls down hill to the bottom, & no good copy to make new at the bottom of that poo pile. To support that theory, I have replaced failed mosfets & capacitors myself with only new smoke to show for it. He could only repair some of them. In his defense, the ones he could repair came with his own warranty, and they lasted ok (his repairs weren't crappy at all). Some he sent back with "I can't fix it & warranty it" , that's honest. I wouldn't put my name on crap i couldn't speak for either. Some of it is "no a availability of original software". And, it reaches a point where it just isn't cost effective to repair. "Throw-away electronics"! Yes, I hate that idea too, but it is reality.

Unfortunately I think it was engineered to the lowest possible penny, and a failure "down the line" screws parts "up the line" in a way that replacement may be better than repair. (For a thing that is destined to see the same failure again & again). It just had to get through warranty at a low cost. Unfortunately, Delta-q continues to take the "lowest buck" OEM contracts, and it continues to tarnish their name & reputation. As some shareholders smile.....

QE, SC-48, ERIC, it's all the same, low dollar chargers to the OEMs, and dismal failure rates.

On the bright side, all of our new Yamahas have been ordered with QuiQ chargers, which is one of the better HF chargers of the modern lineup. And (regardless of what they say) has room for 10 different battery profiles, if a smarter guy knows how to use it. As usual, it has only one in it, but it has 9 free slots for different profiles.

I guess, get a good charger (gonna cost real $). Go older school transformer (several good ones available). Or go new-school "high frequency". There are so many new style available I can't speak good, or bad for, they are so common now. The only one I can say has been ok is the Delta-q QuiQ. But, beware it can have its own problems. (Some applications had specific plugs with notorious problems, like OEM Garia & 2five for example), those have been fixed on newer models. The "bad" ones can be retrofitted to good, but not cheap. (More mud on OEM faces). I have done many retrofits that got rid of that DCI thing, due to the $1k charger thing. (Many people wouldn't dare touch that issue).

Just keep the problems coming, we will keep solutions coming. Best part of my job........(but realize we can do only so much in a day).
Old 07-14-2020, 11:42 PM   #9
Rclapine
Not Yet Wild

I know this is an older thread but I am looking to buy some broken powerwise qe chargers if anyone has them laying around.
Rclapine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:08 AM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclapine View Post
I know this is an older thread but I am looking to buy some broken powerwise qe chargers if anyone has them laying around.
I'd sell you a mountain of them, but I know you'll send that turd right back into the population of us, where we get to see the same problems again & again. Endless cycle of garbage. It doesnt benefit me as a technician, or the end user (I call them my customers, who I want to serve well) to have cheap "rebuilt" as you may call them.

Those were built to the cheapest price, and they wont be any better as a "rebuilt" either. I've seen enough of them to know a bad deal is a bad deal no matter what it is called.

Maybe you are interested in "re engineering" to a "higher quality level", no, that would cost more than a new, better charger. Bye.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO