lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
tgzuki
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 rxv will hardly move batteries are GOOD

Drove my 08 rxv across the yard loaded on the trailer for a short trip tried to unload it will hardly move as if the magnetic brake is holding . Removed the brake assembly and same thing. Removed the motor from the differential and it moves freely both rear end and armature. Reinstalled everything while on jack stands and tried it and the same thing the motor acts like you are barely pushing the pedal. I went to output lugs for the motor at the controller and it gets up to 50 volts ac. Is this correct ? Any ideas ?
tgzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 rxv will hardly move batteries are GOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzuki View Post
Drove my 08 rxv across the yard loaded on the trailer for a short trip tried to unload it will hardly move as if the magnetic brake is holding . Removed the brake assembly and same thing. Removed the motor from the differential and it moves freely both rear end and armature. Reinstalled everything while on jack stands and tried it and the same thing the motor acts like you are barely pushing the pedal. I went to output lugs for the motor at the controller and it gets up to 50 volts ac. Is this correct ? Any ideas ?
Yes, around 50 Volts AC. The exact voltage depends upon the charge state of your batteries. The RXV uses an AC drive, so motor speed is primarily based upon the frequency of the AC coming out of the controller. I guess it's possible to have had a throttle encoder failure. With the RXV, it's usually a go/no go situation, as anything that fails to read within spec at powerup will usually keep the controller from allowing it to operate at all.

If you're wanting to test the encoder for verification of failure, you can swap it with the brake encoder, and try it CAREFULLY. Remember, IF that encoder is failed, you'll have NO brakes once you move it to the brake position. It might be a good idea to jack up the rear axle and set the cart on supports to keep the rear wheels well off of the ground while you test. It might just be a mechanical issue with the encoder shaft engagement or the encoder coming loose from the pedal assembly.

To remove the pedal cover, you'll need to remove the rocker panels from both sides and remove the floor mat. The pedal cover is under that mat.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
tgzuki
Not Yet Wild

I think the throttle position sensor is working correctly. I checked it by back probing the connector while powered up I have a 5 volt feed wire, ground and feed back wire that ranges from 0 volts to 4.55 at wide open throttle. also the controller output is 50 volts ac at wide open. I think the controller is bad, going to check frequency when I go back out. Any ideas on controller repair?
Old 08-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

i think you might having an issue with brake not opening for one reason or another. drive it a short distance & feel the brake for heat. if its a brake issue, the brake will be flaming hot (be careful)...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
tgzuki
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. I already removed the brake assembly completely. Same problem. I also verified the magnet release is working while I had it off.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

i dont consider any driving tests with the brake totally removed a valid test. by driving with the brake removed, you have already introduced a Power On Self Test fail, so the results dont mean much without a working brake installed.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzuki View Post
I think the throttle position sensor is working correctly. I checked it by back probing the connector while powered up I have a 5 volt feed wire, ground and feed back wire that ranges from 0 volts to 4.55 at wide open throttle. also the controller output is 50 volts ac at wide open. I think the controller is bad, going to check frequency when I go back out. Any ideas on controller repair?
Ok, the encoder seems to be working. A 2008 RXV used the Danaher controller. Buying rebuilt controllers or sending your controller out for repair is just asking for a repeat problem down the road. I cannot point you to a supplier for a new Danaher RXV controller, but you can buy a brand new Curtis 1206AC-5211 controller for about $500. Conversion of your main harness to support a Curtis controller is not too difficult.

Bob
Old 08-27-2016, 11:36 PM   #8
tgzuki
Not Yet Wild

cg tech I understand what your saying. I removed the brake but left it plugged in as to not cause any power up issues. I removed the brake and checked operation. it releases as it should. Also the original concern is exactly the same no matter if the brake is installed or not. Again it will release and the wheels only spin very slowly. at 1/4 throttle to 100%.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:08 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I'm wondering how the 2008 Danaher controller would react to a missing motor encoder signal from the motor encoder? I have no experience with the Danaher diagnostics since I've never bought the Danaher style CAN bus cable for my handset. Isn't the 2008 RXV one of those that uses the older style motor encoders? My only experience with Danaher is rewiring the Danaher connector main harness for a Curtis controller.

Bob
Old 08-28-2016, 02:37 AM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

failing encoder or bad connections/corrosion in the encoder wiring have one of 2 possible results. 1 does not run at all, 2 very violent jerking during faults, then controller stops vehicle until key reset. i have dealt with this plenty, enough so that i bought a cheapo oscilloscope kit so i could watch the signal. heres a clean signal, wild variations = violent jerks, flat line = no run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151204_145042_573.jpg (215.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO