lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2006 TXT 36v Series cart - controller choice questions

It appears I need a new controller. As the title says, this is a 36v series cart. It has 6 fairly new Trojan T105s. The tires are stock "golf cart" tires and are fine for current needs. The charger is a separate Powerwise 36 volt. For now, it will just be used on flat grassy terrain and limestone/gravel paths around our property. As discussed in my troubleshooting thread (again, thanks to JohnnieB!), I totally disassembled and cleaned the F&R cam and switch (it was in good condition but it seemed to be worth doing in the troubleshooting phase, just in case) and made new 6 ga. cables to the motor. The battery cables are in good shape. IOW, I'm not really interested in replacing all of that right now.

I doubt I'll do much upgrading to it, but can't say that I definitely won't. I really doubt I'd ever really trick it out and the difference between 20 and 30 mph would be a non-factor right now. About all that I plan to do right now is add some LED headlights and 12v outlet, so for now, I'll probably just add a deep cycle 12v "house battery" rather than a 36v to 12v reducer (I have the battery already, so that seems the way to go but ???). I can get a stock controller (used takeoff) for under 100.00.

There are LOTS of threads here and other info on the web with LOTS of different thoughts on which way to go, but all that I've found involve immediate other upgrades like more voltage, motor upgrades, lifts and larger tires, etc., or the plan for such with future upgrades.

So, I'd welcome any suggestions, thoughts or ideas about what controller I should get.
JoeBleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2006 TXT 36v Series cart - controller choice questions

There are 2 types of cart users. Those who are happy with a good running golf cart and those who wish to improve performance. You seem to be talking your way into the fist group - happy with good running golf cart.
Take off controllers are going to be hit n miss. Wear and damage to electronics from both use and abuse is accumulative. Years of use takes it's toll. But $100 is cheap. That may be the best way to go... if you don't mind walking

Generally I recommend anybody who is buying an aftermarket control for a series TXT get the new Alltrax SR48400, you could get the SR48300 but it's a hefty stock replacement, what if you decide to get a rear seat or cargo box or trailer or more aggressive tires down the road? And besides that oversized controls do not work as hard as lower rated controls under the same loads which equals less wear and a longer useful life.

SR48400 is my suggestion

PS there is a new line of non programmable controls coming out this spring from Alltrax They are built on the SR platform but like the old NCX not recommended for modified carts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
There are 2 types of cart users. Those who are happy with a good running golf cart and those who wish to improve performance. You seem to be talking your way into the fist group - happy with good running golf cart.
Take off controllers are going to be hit n miss. Wear and damage to electronics from both use and abuse is accumulative. Years of use takes it's toll. But $100 is cheap. That may be the best way to go... if you don't mind walking

Generally I recommend anybody who is buying an aftermarket control for a series TXT get the new Alltrax SR48400, you could get the SR48300 but it's a hefty stock replacement, what if you decide to get a rear seat or cargo box or trailer or more aggressive tires down the road? And besides that oversized controls do not work as hard as lower rated controls under the same loads which equals less wear and a longer useful life.

SR48400 is my suggestion

PS there is a new line of non programmable controls coming out this spring from Alltrax They are built on the SR platform but like the old NCX not recommended for modified carts.
Thanks for the input and info. Heck, this cart will never get more than a mile or two from the house, so walking wouldn't be a problem

This cart has a expanded metal cargo box that appears factory (or it had a back seat and this replaced it) and if I understand it correctly, the series carts have more torque and less speed than the others, which is fine for what it will be used for - a light utility cart around the property, visiting neighbors, etc. I'm the heaviest thing by far this cart will ever have to carry

If I understand it correctly, what aftermarket controllers will get me, basically, is upgrade-ready - they won't make the current motor substantially faster without adding batteries - correct? I would guess, perhaps wrongly, that 38 or so volts going to the stock motor via X gauge cables is the same whatever controller sends it - is that correct?
Old 02-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'd normally reply that even though you don't foresee an upgrade now, the upgrade bug will bite you. However, since you already have (had?) several carts, you already know what you want/need. Unless things change, you should be fine with stock. I drove stock for years, hauling 3 passengers plus me, and dragged dozens of fallen trees to the back yard fire pit. The only thing I killed was two solenoids.

I had the upgrade bug before I even bought mine, and knew I only had a few years before needing new batteries, so once the batteries were too slow uphill, I went with the upgrades in my sig.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

As to your last question, the main thing an upgraded series controller will give you is more amperage - torque. Uphill will be faster, larger tires will be better supported, off-road use will be enhanced, as more torque is available. Knobby tires have higher rolling resistance.

On flat pavement, with one passenger, you may not see a difference.

However, I'd strongly recommend you consider new cables from ScottyB, based on what you described. Even though it sounds like you won't be pushing this cart very hard, you don't want to waste energy as heat, due to bad cables. A bad connection to the forward, neutral, reverse (FNR) switch can result in catastrophic failure of the FNR. After you get it running, check for hot cables, and hot connections.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
However, I'd strongly recommend you consider new cables from ScottyB, based on what you described. Even though it sounds like you won't be pushing this cart very hard, you don't want to waste energy as heat, due to bad cables. A bad connection to the forward, neutral, reverse (FNR) switch can result in catastrophic failure of the FNR. After you get it running, check for hot cables, and hot connections.
Thanks for the info. I think I'm just going to stay stock at least for now. As for cables, I already built new, larger-than-stock cables from the F&R switch and M- on the controller to the motor. See toward the end of my recent troubleshooting thread if you haven't already. It was weird: the cable ends looked nearly new. Even the factory connection stenciling and <part no.?> printing looked new. But there was a splice in each cable. Three had lugs, stainless bolts and nuts, overwrap, etc. and the fourth had a butt connector and two layers of industrial heatshrink. That one had failed. I guess it doesn't matter now, they are replaced, but I wonder why it was done. With JohnnieB's guidance, it appears it will run properly (well, at least as Textron intended, anyway...) once it gets a functional controller.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

10-4.

As to the splice, it's possible the cart originally had a 4 blade controller, then was converted to a 3 blade?

The 4th blade is for plug braking, and is more used in things like fork lifts, where you can go full pedal forward, then slam it into reverse, without stopping first.

Just speculating, based on this wiring diagram.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
10-4.

As to the splice, it's possible the cart originally had a 4 blade controller, then was converted to a 3 blade?

The 4th blade is for plug braking, and is more used in things like fork lifts, where you can go full pedal forward, then slam it into reverse, without stopping first.

Just speculating, based on this wiring diagram.
I don't know, but that seems iffy (I couldn't see the wiring diagrams). These were spliced mid-length, but more importantly, the factory-printed connections matched the wiring, i.e., the cable labeled "M-" on one end and "A1" on the other went to A1 on the motor and M- on the controller, and so on. I thought maybe some sort of serious access control interlock with a special dongle that completed the connections, what with golf carts having such high-security keys and all . Picture something like a service disconnect, but ??? That would also explain the 2 piece motor cover, too, I guess - there seemed to once been Velcro holding that piece down and at some point, screws were added.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You can ignore the second attachment, but the first is just a .pdf, which you should be able to open in a number of free .pdf readers. Windoz 10 should just open it. I use Foxit, but Adobe Reader is also a free .pdf reader.

I personally like that wiring diagram, but there are many out there. It explains the plug braking "bypass".
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO