lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
Safetyguy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Charger SMOKED

2005 CC Precedent 48volt with new Alltrax XCT.
My 48 volt, 22110 Charger was popping the breaker. I had repaired the charger with a repair kit which included a 50 amp rectifier. It worked great for a year. It started popping again. So, I replaced the rectifier with another I had but wasn't sure if it was "good". I plugged in the cart and the charger started smoking very badly. I pulled the plug. The breaker did not pop and the fuse did not "blow".
Why? Is the charger "history" now, or can it be repaired?
If I need to buy new, what is the way to go without bypassing the OBC?
Safetyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charger SMOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetyguy View Post
2005 CC Precedent 48volt with new Alltrax XCT.
My 48 volt, 22110 Charger was popping the breaker. I had repaired the charger with a repair kit which included a 50 amp rectifier. It worked great for a year. It started popping again. So, I replaced the rectifier with another I had but wasn't sure if it was "good". I plugged in the cart and the charger started smoking very badly. I pulled the plug. The breaker did not pop and the fuse did not "blow".
Why? Is the charger "history" now, or can it be repaired?
If I need to buy new, what is the way to go without bypassing the OBC?
It doesn't sound good....

If you need a new one, DPI has two Club Car models.

One is a 17 amp for carts that have the OBC removed or bypassed.

The other is a 15 amp for carts that still use the OBC.

Contact David Hicks, Revolution Golf Cars, BGW site sponsor for help with this.

Last edited by Tom47; 11-08-2017 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
twilliams81
Gone Wild

You could have a bad transformer in which case it would be cheaper to just replaced it with one of the DPI chargers like what was mentioned.
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I had to buy a new charger, I would definitely by the 17 amp dpi bypass model and bypass the OBC. That would eliminate a future OBC failure down the road. It will happen sooner or later.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
Safetyguy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks. I contacted Revolution with my question.
Not sure if I want to go the bypass route. What about the newer Yewey chargers like Scotty B has on his site? Any luck with those instead of my old Lester?
Safetyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
If I had to buy a new charger, I would definitely by the 17 amp dpi bypass model and bypass the OBC. That would eliminate a future OBC failure down the road. It will happen sooner or later.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Not sure if I want to go the bypass route. What about the newer Yewey chargers like Scotty B has on his site? Any luck with those instead of my old Lester?
Not familiar with the Yewey. But Scotty normally recommends the DPI chargers. I love my new one and I did remove the OBC.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
As far as I am aware, the OBC is only there to control the charger. If you have a charger with that control built in, the OBC is redundant and can be by-passed and even removed completely to save space and weight.

The OBC is pretty basic and old-tech compared to the electronics that are in the new chargers so buying a new charger with its own control and by-passing and removing the OBC is really the best way to go. From 2014 CC have no OBC so they think it is the way to go also.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
As far as I am aware, the OBC is only there to control the charger. If you have a charger with that control built in, the OBC is redundant and can be by-passed and even removed completely to save space and weight.

The OBC is pretty basic and old-tech compared to the electronics that are in the new chargers so buying a new charger with its own control and by-passing and removing the OBC is really the best way to go. From 2014 CC have no OBC so they think it is the way to go also.
I removed the OBC on my Regen 2, fabricated an aluminum diamond plate mount and centered the XCT and HD solenoid for easy access through the bagwell cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171026_170309.jpg (211.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Let's back up a bit before we start writing the charger off as bad. I got your message on eBay but I chose not to respond because I'd rather help you here. EBay messaging is a joke. Anything not related to the sale of that particular item is frowned upon and they can now charge a fee for simple stuff such as giving out your phone number. If you have an issue, please post it here, email me directly at info@revolutiongolfcars.com, or send me a private message. As for your issue, if you'll grab a multimeter we can do a simple test to see if the rectifier is good or bad. If the rectifier is good, the transformer is bad. If the rectifier is bad, replace it. Send me a direct email and I"ll send you the rectifier troubleshooting instructions.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car