lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
kimrpaige
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 48 volt chugging

Hello everyone,
Been awhile since I posted. Hopefully my question will be a simple one. My 1999 DS 48 volt cart is chugging when I step on the accelerator. It is fully charged, over 49 volts across the pack, each battery is around 8.2, 2 of the batteries are fairly new, 1 is 1 year old, the other is 2 years old. Water level is all good and all posts are tight. Anything else I should check? The controller is fairly new also. Thanks in advance, Kim
kimrpaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1999 48 volt chugging

Assumption 1 - your cart is a series type with lever for Fwd/Rev
Assumption 2 - Over 49 volts really means about 70% of a full/healthy pack (which would read over 50.5 volts)
Assumption 3 - Chugging might also be described as stuttering? See THIS THREAD

Most use the terms stuttering, shuddering, jerking, shaking - but it almost always leads to the same thing...failing/corroded connections between batteries - or an old battery or two that can no longer meet the amperage demanded on acceleration. The simple voltage measurement process described in the above thread will likely lead you to the solution.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
kimrpaige
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Joesam,
I had this chugging/shuttering problem before and yes it seems to be a connection or low/bad battery issue. I charged the buggie last night, took it off charger, and then tested batteries, here is what I got. Whole pack reads 50.73. individually was: 1) 8.35, 2) 8.41, 3) 8.31, 4) 8.38, 5) 8.59, 6) 8.76. No. 5 and 6 are the newer batteries, 6 being new last year. I will try later with a volt meter and pressing the accelerator to see how they drop. Right now it looks as if I need 4 new batteries. I have had the cart about 4 years and only replaced two batteries. I only use the cart tooling around my 55+ MH Park. and yes it is a series cart with FNR lever, sorry. Thanks, Kim
Old 11-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

I would recommend replacing the entire battery pack.
Otherwise you will have continuing problems as the older batteries drop out. Your pack will always be out of balance. It is not good for your good batteries, they will be subject to higher discharge and overcharging as the old batteries begin to drop out.
If you replace piecemeal, you will not get the full life of replacements because they are having to pull the load of the older,weaker batteries.
It will cost you more now, but you will save money in the long run.
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
kimrpaige
Not Yet Wild

Thanks,
I just did a voltage drop test by reading the voltage as I step on the gas to go foward. The whole pack drops to 42 from 50. No. 1 drops to 7.1 from 8.3, No. 2 drops to 5.5 from 8.4, No. 3 drops to 7.5 from 8.3, No. 4 drops to 7.2 from 8.3, No. 5 drops to 7.8 from 8.5 and No. 6 drops to 7.8 from 8.7. Like I said No. 5 and 6 are newer batteries. Looks like the No. 2 battery is the worst. So Looks like I need new batteries. Thanks, Kim
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car