lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2020, 09:21 PM   #1
gilbiy1977
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2018 Ezgo Elite State of Charge

Is there a plug n play digital state of charge meter available for RXV Elite carts? I have found many options but none say they work with litnium batteries. Thanks for your help.
gilbiy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
gilbiy1977
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2018 Ezgo Elite State of Charge

Guess I am the Guinea Pig. I bought a digital plug n play state of charge meter that reads voltage, battery % and battery hours. However when using the factory plug behind the dash it reads the voltage as 14.4 volts. My guess is that plug is downstream of the voltage reducer because the battery reads 54 volts. Any ideas short of running a wire to the battery?
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dont go cutting & splicing into that thing with a wire from the pack, unless you want to replace a $2000 controller. (Yes, the one for the elite is $2000)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbiy1977 View Post
Guess I am the Guinea Pig. I bought a digital plug n play state of charge meter that reads voltage, battery % and battery hours. However when using the factory plug behind the dash it reads the voltage as 14.4 volts. My guess is that plug is downstream of the voltage reducer because the battery reads 54 volts. Any ideas short of running a wire to the battery?
The way I understand the factory SOC meter is. It doesn't read pack voltage directly. It interprets a signal it gets from the controller. So the factory plug doesn't have a terminal that reads pack voltage directly. I have the aftermarket digital voltmeter sold on ebay. It works pretty good on my lead acid battery RXV. The voltage readout is usually reads one to two tenths of a volt low. The % readout doesn't seem very accurate.

You may have received a defective meter or it might just not work correctly on the Elite RXV. The signal from the lithium controller may not be compatible with the digital meter. Since you can destroy a controller messing with the factory plug I wouldn't use anything but the factory gauge until more is known about using the digital gauge with an Elite.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
gilbiy1977
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback. I checked the voltage at the factory plug and it read 14.4 volts. So I believe the gauge is correct. For whatever reason my cart did not come with a factory gauge so I have now way of knowing the battery level.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
gilbiy1977
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry for the dumb questions... If I ran a wire directly from the battey to the digital gauge which is plugged in to the factory harness, are you saying it could backfeed to the control through the gauge to the harness?
Old 08-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbiy1977 View Post
Sorry for the dumb questions... If I ran a wire directly from the battey to the digital gauge which is plugged in to the factory harness, are you saying it could backfeed to the control through the gauge to the harness?
Can, and most likely will. Not a risk worth taking.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
Danimal1228
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So bizarre. We were installing an aftermarket guage in a 16 RXV and found the same thing. The connector behind the dash has 3 wires which should be B+, B-, and the signal from controller, as far as I know.. well there was 14v across the B- and B+ when the key was on. Is that right? The cart doesn't have a factory voltage reducer.

Is there somewhere in the dash to tap into pack voltage for a guage?
Danimal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:37 AM   #9
gilbiy1977
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal1228 View Post
So bizarre. We were installing an aftermarket guage in a 16 RXV and found the same thing. The connector behind the dash has 3 wires which should be B+, B-, and the signal from controller, as far as I know.. well there was 14v across the B- and B+ when the key was on. Is that right? The cart doesn't have a factory voltage reducer.

If you figure this out, please let me know.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal1228 View Post

Not without the risk of destroying your controller. And the controller for an Elite is a specialty item! Not going to replace that with any other model. It integrates with the lithium BMS, unlike earlier controllers for the lead/acid batteries. Without that integration, both the controller and the BMS shut down within 30 seconds of loss of communications with one another.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO