lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
God of Thunder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What do I do next?!

Hello everyone! I am a first time builder here to golf carts. I have a 2004 TXT and am finally getting somewhere with it. I acquired a new to me fairly clean white body that I want to use, and I am getting close to putting things back together. Unfortunately, the things I'd like to do, I am not sure how/what order to do them in!

So here's where I am....I have basically a frame right now with a few of the parts still on. No motor or batteries. I had to remove the lower floorboard due to it rusting all the way through. I have acquired a new one that's being shipped to me.

So before that - I think I need to spray something on the frame to prevent more rusting. I read about what I think was called "Hercules Paint" and I read about something called POR15. Should I just paint the rusted parts (nothing is horrible other than the floor pan which I removed) with that POR15 and be good?

Once that's thats done, I should be able to install my new floor pan.

Next - do I add my lift kit now before the body is on? Or should I bolt the body on and then do the lift kit? As far as the lift kit - I don't know what I need/don't need. I won't use the cart off road really....it'll travel with the RV and maybe do some fun drivign in the neighborhood. I don't mind a cheap lift kit, but I don't know crap about lift kits, so I don't even have a clue where to start. I see axle lift, or something rather - but any assistance here would be great!

So after either the lift kit, or body or whatever else, I imagine I need to add in the floor mat, and then the rocker panels, and then the metal pieces that hold the mat down....I think.

I am sorry for all these newbish questions, and I should probably see if there are some build threads somewhere here.....but here are some pictures of where I am!

God of Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2020, 09:12 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What do I do next?!

you are headed in the right direction!!

as far as the frame....before you put anything on it....like POR or the other produce you mentioned. get youself some rush inhibiter, if you have any bear spots....and use that first, THEN cpat it with the POR15.

build EVERYTHING that goes under the back half of the body first, everything. it makes it a lot easier installing things, especially things like the motor, shocks, lift kit, etc.... THEN you can put the body on.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
God of Thunder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post

as far as the frame....before you put anything on it....like POR or the other produce you mentioned. get youself some rush inhibiter, if you have any bear spots....and use that first, THEN cpat it with the POR15.

build EVERYTHING that goes under the back half of the body first, everything. it makes it a lot easier installing things, especially things like the motor, shocks, lift kit, etc.... THEN you can put the body on.
Thank you! This might be a "taboo" question, but can you talk to me anything about lift kits? What kind I should get, etc? I see some on eBay for $100 - I don't think I need anything fancy, its going to be used on the street and campgrounds, but I don't want garbage either!

Also - does anyone know where I can find the cover to go over the controller with the run/tow switch?
Old 10-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
Danimal1228
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I use the $100 6in drop axle lift for TXT exclusively. It's built super solid and a great price.
Danimal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Can’t comment on lift kits as I don’t have one. But can tell you por 15 has worked well for me on several projects.
I used a roll / brush on bed liner on my battery tray before installing battery tray
In hopes of preventing rust along Regular wash down with baking soda and water. To neutralize acid. So far seems to be holding up well.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Thunder View Post
Thank you! This might be a "taboo" question, but can you talk to me anything about lift kits? What kind I should get, etc? I see some on eBay for $100 - I don't think I need anything fancy, its going to be used on the street and campgrounds, but I don't want garbage either!

Also - does anyone know where I can find the cover to go over the controller with the run/tow switch?
as far as the lift kit goes....for starters.....I would recommend you get it from one of our site sponsors, you will know your getting a quality product. and considering who you intend to use your cart, I would suggest a "SPINDLE LIFT" of whatever size you want.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
God of Thunder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post

So as far as a "rust inhibitor" - looks like Home Depot has these two options - are any of these better than the other?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...0112/301059233

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

And then as far as POR15, I see there is a spray can on Amazon called a "Top Coat" - is this what I'd want?

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-45918-...oghydr-20&th=1
Old 10-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #8
God of Thunder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

By the way, I appreciate the help from everyone!
Old 10-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #9
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The regular por 15 gets rid of rust that you can’t get off or don’t want to try to. I think that too cost is a different product. When I rebuilt my cart, there was some rust I just couldn’t get to very well. I bought a qt of por 15 and just did the whole frame in it. I’d get the regular stuff.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Thunder View Post
So as far as a "rust inhibitor" - looks like Home Depot has these two options - are any of these better than the other?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...0112/301059233

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

And then as far as POR15, I see there is a spray can on Amazon called a "Top Coat" - is this what I'd want?

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-45918-...oghydr-20&th=1
as far as a rust inhibitor/preventor I recomend Ospho 605 Metal Treatment, I have been using this stuff for over 30 years. you can get a 32 oz. bottle of it on AMAZON. and getting that size you will have a LOT left over for future projects.

https://www.amazon.com/Ospho-605-Met...564357921&th=1

as for the POR15....BUY the 1 qt. can, its applied with a brush.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO