lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
zeekracing
Not Yet Wild

Default Jumpy 97 ezgo

I have a buddies 97 ezgo txt 36 volt that I’m working on. He brought it to me to put a new controller on it since it wouldn’t go up any kind of an incline. He picked up the alltrax XCT 500 for it. I put it on and a new 400 amp solenoid. The cart has new batteries and 4 gauge cables except for the ones going to the motor. They are still stock size. The cart is lifted on 23” tires. The cart still won’t pull any incline. It’s kicks off. On flat ground if I ease the pedal down it will do fine but if I put it all the way down quick it kicks on and off and on etc... it will still gain speed If I stop on a small bump it won’t go over it. It just kicks on and off while it try’s every time it kicks on. I can jack the rear up so there’s no load on it and it works as it should. I swapped out the pedal sensor with a known good one. Could it be just too small of wires to the motor be the issue? Could the motor be worn out? Thanks for any input
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7E2A2BDC-3DEE-42AA-B508-29A7D20C474A.jpg (135.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2DEF3914-98C1-4622-9D7F-AEED2B185864.jpg (216.6 KB, 0 views)
zeekracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Jumpy 97 ezgo

Connect a laptop and see what the error codes are.

Looks like 5 old batteries and one new one, so monitor the voltage between the controller's B- and B+ terminals to see what it drops to under load.

All 10 high amp cables ought to be 4Ga or thicker. The OEM F1 and F2 cables (10Ga) are adequate if they are in good condition. (Check for worn insulation and corroded ends).

A 97 EZGO with a sepex drive will be a DCS. What filed map is loaded in the XCT?????

Run a data long at the continuous sampling rate and post it here. (You cannot attach .csv files to BGW posts, so zip it and attach the.zip file)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
zeekracing
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I’m learning how to do this. The code that came up was field open alarm. 5 batteries are a few months old and the other is new. He left a cable loose on one battery and melted the terminal on that battery. The controller was set to 500 amps and I’m afraid it could have hurt the stock motor. I lowered it down to 250 amps and it still has the issue. I unhooked the F1 and F2 along with the batteries and I have 4.2 ohms resistance at the motor. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I haven’t been able to find a spec on google. I’ll hook it back up and try to figure out how to log.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

4.5Ω is about twice what the field windings should be.

Specs for a stock DCS motor:
Set your VOM to RESISTANCE (Ω).
With your motor disconnected, measure A1 to A2. This must measure BETWEEN .2Ω and 1Ω.
With your motor disconnected, measure F1 to F2. This must measure BETWEEN 1Ω and 2Ω.
With your motor disconnected, measure A1 to F1. This must measure OPEN.
With your motor disconnected, measure F1 to motor case. This must measure greater than 5 MΩ.

The DCS motor is fairly robust, but the 500A XCT ought to be turned down to about 400A or so.

Here's how to check the motor with battery power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor Test - Sepex.jpg (91.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-19-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
zeekracing
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. I will check those posts tomorrow. I talked to alltrax earlier and they said the same about the f1 and f2. He said I might be able to take the motor off and try to clean as that is too much resistance.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
zeekracing
Not Yet Wild

Decided to go ahead and get the motor rebuilt. I shipped it off to plum quick.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Let us know how that works out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO