lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
lwalk1961
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 96 48v series club car orange lead on #4 + term.

I have recently purchased my first electric cart, a 96 club car. It was DOA when I bought it, but I put new batteries on and it took off. I had a lead on the pos terminal of the #4 battery that i can't identify. I put it back in the same place, but I don't know what it does. There is nothing like it on any of the wiring diagrams I can find. I am hoping someone can help. I am trying to get the lights working, but seem to have nothing on the power to them. I have a picture of the car as it was when I got it. Note that the previous owner, either by mistake or design, had bypassed the #4 battery with the battery jumper connections. I think it was mistake, but who knows. I don't have any experience with golf carts, but I have repaired and maintained electric lifts as part of my job as an industrial mechanic, so I am fairly proficient, mechanically. I would really appreciate any suggestions on service manuals that would be applicable my ser # is A9641-534228.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0917111758a.jpg (72.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 0917111758b.jpg (71.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 0917111759a.jpg (66.0 KB, 10 views)
lwalk1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Default Re: 96 48v series club car orange lead on #4 + term.

All very confusing. It looks like 2 of the batteries are linked neg to neg !!
#1 battery (passenger side rear) has the 2 red wires positive 6 gauge to the solenoid and 10 gauge to the charger socket. #6 battery (drivers side rear) has the black wire 6 gauge neg to the controller B- thru the OBC. all batteries connected - to +. Disconnect all other wires attached to the batteries. As the batteries are 8v the lights would normally be connected through a voltage reducer from either 48v or 24v to 12v.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i,m not touching this one but from what i see the batteries arn not cabled right at least 12 of them.........as for the lights it looks like the middle batteries i see a red wire that may be one of the wires for lights......but that looks a mess in there and i would start from the beginning with a new set of battery cables and the right wiring diagram.............its not right the way it sits...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
lwalk1961
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, guys. I did figure out that the #4 battery was just out of the circuit. The jumper that should have been on its + terminal was on its neg terminal with the one going to the next battery. When put in the new batteries, I made everything in series and got 48 volts across the battery pack. The orange wire was tied to a terminal box that feeds the lights, but there is no voltage reducer. It was buried under too much dirt and grass to see until I cleaned it all up. The voltage was the problem with the lights. Every bulb was blown due to operating on 24 volts, I think. I moved the orange wire back one battery to a 16 volt to ground and changed all the bulbs and now have operating lights. The 2 small red wires were going to an accessory of some kind that used to be mounted on the top, maybe another light, or even a radio? They are gone now. Again, thanks.
lwalk1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car