lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
oconnorb
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Charging battery time frame?

New intersate batteries, 8V in 97 Club Car (48V), how long should I charge them? Drove cart on new batteries, ran 16 mph then started to slow to 11 mph after 8 miles in driving. So I thought I better charge, first time for new batteries.

Been on charger on for 4 hours, little sulpher smell.

Thanks,

OC

oconnorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
oconnorb
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charging battery time frame?

Ok,

Next question, I am using a Thunderbull charger, will it shut off automatically? Unable to locate any info online.

Thanks,

OC
Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

If you just put in new batteries, you should be reading the sticky on battery care, ASAP. Never partially charge batteries, especially new ones. I don't have a thunder ball charger, but I'm sure it shuts down when the batts are fully charged. Sulpher smell is normal.

Your new batts should take 8+ hours to charge the 1st few times. Please read the sicky on battery break-in procedures. Also, go to scottyb's website (carts unlimitted) and read his battery stuff.

The 1st thing that you should have done, was to put those new batts on the charger and not touch them until it turns off. Dont run them down more than 25-50% for the next 10-20 charging cycles.

Read the sticky!!!!
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
oconnorb
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sticky reading....

Done reading.... Darn, do I look like to fool.... nopte to self, read and review stickies....

Thanks,

OC

Old 09-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
Never partially charge batteries, especially new ones.
flooded lead acid are ok with partial charging as they do not suffer a memory effect, can avoid deep discharge, as well benefit from the higher state of charge. manufacturers refer to it as opportunity charging.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
flooded lead acid are ok with partial charging as they do not suffer a memory effect, can avoid deep discharge, as well benefit from the higher state of charge. manufacturers refer to it as opportunity charging.
-sj
I don't agree with sonicj's statement, and Trojan battery don't agree. when you buy your new batteries, they are only around 70/75 % charged when you install them, and probably been sitting on the shelf for a month or more, so I would say they need to be fully charged before they are used for the first time

[Quote] from Trojan Battery

What are common mistakes made by lead acid battery owners?

Undercharging: Generally caused by not allowing the charger to restore the battery to full state of charge after use. Continually operating the battery in a partial state of charge, or storing the battery in a discharged state results in the formation of lead sulfate compounds on the plates. This condition is known as sulfation. Both of these conditions reduce the battery's performance and may cause premature battery failure. Undercharging will also cause stratification.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Su...intenance.aspx
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

im not saying don't charge to 100% when you first get the batteries... definitely do that! im also not saying that its ever ok to under charge... what i am saying is that its ok to partially charge when the opportunity arises. ie: driving around all day, but charging for an hour during lunch. at the end of the day you can plug in for the full bulk charge and equalization phase like normal.

say you use 40Ah in the morning, put 20Ah back in during lunch, then use 40Ah in the afternoon. you would pull in to the garage at -60Ah. whereas, had you not charged during lunch, you would pull in to the garage at -80Ah. partial charging during lunch resulted in less time spent at a lower state of charge and also decreased the depth of the discharge.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car