lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 48v voltage reducer or converter

Not sure if this is the best place to ask - but it does only concern electric models and I happen to own and Club Car. Please move if need be.

I have been reading around and I see the term voltage reducer and converter used almost interchangeably. Thought I would ask what the difference is as I suspect there is. I know Scottyb has probably the best deal going and will most likely order that which is a reducer. But before I do, I thought I would attempt to clarify before moving forward.

If ya know, please share...

--Thanks.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48v voltage reducer or converter

Converter and reducer are not terms which should be interchanged. Simply put ...

Voltage converting involves changing the type of wave like DC (direct current) to AC (alternating current) Converters are popular in RVs so you can run household appliances from your DC battery source.

Voltage reduction involves reducing the voltage of a given supply, which is what we are doing ... reducing a 36 or 48v supply down to 12 volts so you can safely run 12v components from a higher voltage system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
kimrpaige
Not Yet Wild

Actually a Inverter is what changes DC to AC. A voltage reducer(golf cart terms) works on only 2 batteries of a 6 pack. For example a 48 volt cart normally has 6 eight volt batteries, some are configured a little different but most are 6 eight volt batteries. So when you reduce the two eight volts from 16 (2Xeight) down to 12 for accessories. What happens is while doing this you are weakening the two and could cause problems due to it. A Converter(golf cart terms) will convert the whole battery pack (48 volts) down to 12 so all six batteries are discharged at the same rate. The converter I think is much better. I just installed one on my 48 volt CC DS along with a fuse block for all the 12 volt stuff and it works wonderfully!
kimrpaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Uh oh, two contradicting replies...
I would like to know the difference between a converter and reducer, too, as I thought the two words were synonyms.
I do know an inverter converts DC 12v to AC 120v. You can use these in your car to have household outlets.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Uh oh, two contradicting replies...
I would like to know the difference between a converter and reducer, too, as I thought the two words were synonyms.
I do know an inverter converts DC 12v to AC 120v. You can use these in your car to have household outlets.
Well it definately wasn't called an Inverter - yes thats DC to AC. They called it a reducer converter specifically. I knew what a Reducer was when reading through many posts of this forum. Just saw the term used together and made me ask the question.

I guess at the end of the day, it won't matter to me...getting ready to pull the trigger on ordering the 30amp reducer from ScottyB and move on. Not sure what/when I will do a radio in my cart but I want to get my lights run correctly off of 12v and not 16v as they have currently configured.

Thanks all.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
kimrpaige
Not Yet Wild

Just went to Scotty's site and yes he calls his a DC to DC reducer. I bought mine from Buggies Unlimited and they call it a converter. Same part, different names but yes confusing!!!! Again, get the reducer/ converter thats takes input voltage from the entire pack! Hope that helps. Kim
kimrpaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just purchased from ScottyB.....
Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimrpaige View Post
Actually a Inverter is what changes DC to AC. A voltage reducer(golf cart terms) works on only 2 batteries of a 6 pack. For example a 48 volt cart normally has 6 eight volt batteries, some are configured a little different but most are 6 eight volt batteries. So when you reduce the two eight volts from 16 (2Xeight) down to 12 for accessories. What happens is while doing this you are weakening the two and could cause problems due to it. A Converter(golf cart terms) will convert the whole battery pack (48 volts) down to 12 so all six batteries are discharged at the same rate. The converter I think is much better. I just installed one on my 48 volt CC DS along with a fuse block for all the 12 volt stuff and it works wonderfully!
was exactly what i was thinking
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #9
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Converter? Reducer? It's neither. A device that changes 36v or 48v to 12v is called a step down dc-dc transformer.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . for me, a converter is used for foreign travel to use a 110v item in a 220v environment . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car