lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
xcntrk
Not Yet Wild

Default 12v Accessories and Battery Advice

My batteries are toast. X4 12v Trojans of unknown date or condition when I bought my cart used. At first they would charge to right at 50v (indicating about 60% life left). Then more recently the cart would hold a charge for about a day and be dead again. Now it will no longer take a charge. So I need new batteries...

Where I’m looking for input is how best to run 12v accessories. Currently I split lights and audio across two of the batteries (one on each side) directly. I realize this is not ideal and likely a contributor to the dead batteries. So what is the proper way to do this? A 48v – 12v voltage reducer with enough amperage to run the accessories I have currently? What about a dedicated accessory battery 12v charged off a separate system? I have room for another 12v batt if I stick with the x4 12v replacements (as opposed to x6 8v).

All thoughts and opinions appreciated.
xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: 12v Accessories and Battery Advice

A "good quality" voltage reducer is probably the way to go.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

In my opinion the BEST option would be the most costly; make the switch to 6 8-Volt batteries and install a properly sized 48/12 voltage reducer. If cost is a factor install 4 12-Volt golf cart batteries and install a properly sized 48/12 voltage reducer. If cost is major factor then install 4 12-Volt golf cart batteries and keep doing what you're doing but move the 12 volt taps around to the other batteries every month so least that way they all see some of the unbalanced load. Something to keep in mind is how much do you use the lights and radio? If not very much then you're not doing very much harm tapping the 12's...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

all depends on what you want to spend your money . if you are looking to increase your run time then 6 - 8volt with a 48/12 reducer .

if you want to get most out of your batteries without the extra work of changing your battery box and cables then stay with 4-12 volts and add a extra 12 volt marine/RV battery for your lights/radio and charge with a small battery tender

if run time is not a issue with your day to day driving habits then 4-12 volt and a good 48/12 reducer
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Stock battery tray can be modded to accept 6x 8v for about $10 worth of angle aluminum & hardware from the hardware store.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #6
xcntrk
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all for the input, appreciate the responses.

Since I need to replace all x4 current batteries, sounds like moving over to x6 8V batteries would be the way to go. I do want to increase run time and put a heavy load on the battery pack with an Alltrax controller and heavy foot.

Anybody have pics or links for modifying the battery tray to house x6 individual batteries?

Also, any recommendations on quality 12/48v reducers?
xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Smallblock450sl has done more of them than I have, maybe he has pics (that's where I got the idea) . I placed the 2 extra batteries sideways between the original Wells.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

i know this is a club car ds and is totally different then a ezgo . but it was cheap and easy with 1" alum angle and pop rivets from Home Depot .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9093-1.JPG (110.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Ooops its not a ezgo but a Yamaha sorry
Old 01-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
Molon Labe USA
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post

Also, any recommendations on quality 12/48v reducers?
Any input on this? I'm just wanting to run headlights/taillights & a ~12" LED light bar. Thanks!
Molon Labe USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha