lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2023, 07:46 AM   #11
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Budget 90ah 48v lifepo4 battery build (under a grand)

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

I am really tempted to just say the hell with making the bus bars and buying 16 of these https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=8meZITgUyg8X

But I already spent $50 on the 1/4" x 3/4"x 36" copper bar to make them.
I dunno about those type of bus bars. They have twisted "copper strands" and I'm more of a fan of solid copper for energy transfer. But....I certainly get "easy"
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2023, 09:09 AM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There can be an advantage to a flexible bus bar. It puts less stress on the terminals due to vibration and thermal effects. Stranded copper can be a plenty good conductor if sized correctly.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:34 AM   #13
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Well balanced cells you have there. Is the active balancer connected?
yes
They still can benefit more from sitting on the charger and balancer I believe
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:40 AM   #14
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I dunno about those type of bus bars. They have twisted "copper strands" and I'm more of a fan of solid copper for energy transfer. But....I certainly get "easy"
I was sold on them due to a recent bus bar comparision test video I seen where they put the different type under load with a infrared heat temp camera looking for hot spots... The flexible terminals are a lot easier on the terminals should any shifting or expansion and contraction occur between them which is a real concern with prismatic cells..

Im not going with them because they are easy.. Trust me I already paid for the1/4" copper bar to make my own before I changed my mind.. the tin plating helps long term and even though I picked up some Noalox to coat the connections I just would rather have the extra piece of mind
Old 01-21-2023, 11:14 AM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Huh.....See...that's why I come here!!
Old 01-30-2023, 07:29 AM   #16
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

sorry for the crappy pics folks but if theres anything you want more detail on let me know. the center plug on the enclosure is for the touchscreen interface and I do have wires in it to turn the active balancer on and off but I may move that switch to the side of the battery along with a hardware on off switch (not sure yet since the touchscreen does have an on of switch for the battery)

I got refunded on the ebay charger (fake seller) so I ordered another 20amp charger new for $150 I should have by friday. I ws able to charge and balance the cells with the makeshift mppt setup mentioned above and that solar charger will be going in the cart which is also under construction now with overhead console, new dash 44" led bar not pictured. something I changed from the pic is the busbars, I did install these but forgot to take pics.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US I used the noalox to prevent oxidized poor connections and hot spots down the road.
It sure isnt winning any beauty contests but thats ok with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230125_172203[1].jpg (280.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230130_072217[1].jpg (265.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230130_072229[1].jpg (257.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230102_204242[1].jpg (249.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-30-2023, 07:37 AM   #17
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Enjoying your build! Maybe I'll do it some day. That first picture looks like a real wiring birds nest!

So, if you were to do it again, would you use the flexible braided copper buss bars?
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:41 AM   #18
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
Enjoying your build! Maybe I'll do it some day. That first picture looks like a real wiring birds nest!
Yes thats because I wanted the least amount of terminal rings on my busbar posts as possible, I could have tried to organize them better for cosmetic reasons but honestly I wasnt motivated to and I wanted to ensure I had enough wire for things to reach the plugs on the boards.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:44 AM   #19
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Augiedoggy......NOLEX is the best stuff on the planet! (Well...mebby not the best for everything!)

I like the fact that you can build your pack inside your home. The Mrs' would toss out the pack and me if I attempted that!!

And finally....what is this component? Is this the balancing device for the pack?
Old 01-30-2023, 07:44 AM   #20
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post

So, if you were to do it again, would you use the flexible braided copper buss bars?
See my post above, I did use the flexible copper braid tinned bus bars but didnt get a picture. I thought I did but apparently not. The bus bars in the picture were temporary for charging.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium