lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2023, 02:10 PM   #1
Jdooley
Not Yet Wild

Default Eco 72ah or 105ah?

I am about to purchase a Eco battery and am undecided if the 72ah would suffice or should I go with the 105ah. Here in Canada I am $3300 for the 72 vs $4000 for the 105. (Thanks to our low Canadian $) Cart is only used for four months a year.
Cart is a 2001 DS Regen 2, 6” lift on 23’s with stock motor and controller.
It is only used at a campground on mainly flat gravel roads. Typically just driver with small dog and four passengers on rare occasions. I like the simple fit of the 72 as well as the ease of taking it out for winter.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Jdooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2023, 02:53 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Eco 72ah or 105ah?

If you are easy on it, the smaller battery should be ok. If it were me, I would always go with the larger one - not so much for capacity but for current draw capability. I would look closely at the specs before deciding.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 02:57 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We use the 72ah in a big tire cart with a 500 control and 14 hp long stack high torque motor without issue in our hilly terrain. Personally I would not invest that much in a battery that is only used a few months of the year.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:06 PM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Get the 72Ah battery. You won't regret it.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:15 PM   #5
Jdooley
Not Yet Wild

I’m leaning towards the 72ah as I think it would meet my needs. The most I would put on is 20-25 miles a day and I have no problem charging throughout the day if need be. I would never be more than a mile from my lot.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:17 AM   #6
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I am in the same boat as I am building an electric cart for my girlfriends seasonal site by her parents where they dont allow any of the 2 cycle g1s I already have.

I decided to have fun with a cheap older cart I bought used with no roof and bad batteries & solenoid and spruce it up over the winter with a solar panel roof which will keep the cart topped off as far as charge (charges with about 8 amps in testing so far) and I used a DIY 90ah lifepo4 battery pack that cost me about $900 to assemble buying everything but the used steel case from aliexpress..(I have almost 3 grand into this "cheap cart" now).
I do like the space I have for the beer cooler under the seat and with the solar and minimal /short trip use through the flat campground I hope to keep the cells in a fairly high state of charge and prolong their lifespan. I went with the cells I did because they have a 3c continuous discharge rating meaning they will hold up longer in ev use and I can pull up to 270amps continuous if ever needed..

As Volt said the amount of power the battery can deliver matters but it sounds like your cart is stock other than the power hungry 23"s that are putting more load on your controller and battery now but still you wont be pulling any serious amp loads so the 72ah would work well for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230303_081402.jpg (231.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230303_081444.jpg (267.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230303_081428.jpg (157.3 KB, 0 views)
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:23 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I'm always a proponent of "buy as much amp\hr as you can." But in your case, with your use, I'd likely go with the smaller one.....as long as the continuous draw and the max draw for "X" time period meets your needs.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:30 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If it were mine running 20-25 miles per day when you use the cart, I’d personally opt for the larger pack. That’s part of the reason I went with allied. I like that they’re scaleable. I used 2 batteries for 60aH for a while but ended up getting a 3rd battery for 90aH. Much happier with the extra battery.

With the eco since you can’t simply add to it, it would require changing the whole pack, I’d get the bigger one right from the start. Better to have more than you need and have extra headroom than save a few bucks up front and find that a year or so down the line you regret not getting the larger pack. At that point it would then require selling the 72, probably for less than you paid because it’s used now and then buying the bigger one.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:45 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I'm always a proponent of "buy as much amp\hr as you can." But in your case, with your use, I'd likely go with the smaller one.....as long as the continuous draw and the max draw for "X" time period meets your needs.
I agree. We sold many of the Eco 51v 72ah battery combos for people with stock and modified carts for street and off road use. Not one of those customers reported a single performance issue.
The Eco 51v72ah battery exceeds the original battery performance while reducing the overall cart weight (load) by 30%. Think power to weight ratio.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:50 AM   #10
Jdooley
Not Yet Wild

Great replies. Thank you all so much.
I think the 72 should work fine for my needs.
Why does everyone say you need more ah’s For modded carts, AC systems, etc?
Many of these carts are running FLA’s and doing fine. Switching to lithium (as long as you have a decent discharge rate)and shedding 300lbs should reduce the required usable ah’s to get the equivalent or better runtimes than the FLA’s provide. Does this make sense?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car