lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
buckbuckey25
Not Yet Wild

Cool High Speed gears on Stock motor FE290 - 9hp 1996

Hi all, First of all thank you for the amazing amount of info you folks pass around. Incredible discussions. I wish all product/tech forums were this helpful! So I am rather new. I have surfed this page many of times but I do believe this is my first POST!

So to my question! I have a 1996 CC "Gasser" with the FE290 Kawi engine. I am interested in the high speed gear set. With that said, how does the stock engine perform with the taller gear? Will the engine still get up to RPM's as normal, but just take longer to do so? I read one instance where someone said the HS gear set isn't a suggested upgrade on the stock motors. What is the downside in my approach other than loss in torque?

Lastly, what would one expect to pay to have them installed?

Thanks in advance! As my learning curve decreases and my knowledge goes up I hope to be able to return the favors to new comers down the road!

Buckey

Last edited by buckbuckey25; 06-16-2011 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Additional question
buckbuckey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
Rdavis984
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: High Speed gears on Stock motor FE290 - 9hp 1996

I guess it depends on your setup. Is it stock tires or lifted. I am running 6:1 gears on a 290 with stock tires and machined clutches in my 97. With these gears it takes a while for the engine to wind up when i start from a dead stop to go up a hill but on flat ground i really have no problem... I am not running a back seat though. I also removed the governor and rev limiter though because with running this low of gears it will take over an 8th mile to reach the around 4000 rpm.

As far as cost to do them... It is relatively simple but you will need to have the bearings pressed from the old gears to the new. It cost me $25 to get them done. It took me around an hour to take out and put in. Here is the best info on putting the gears in.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...tall-pics.html

PS-- I am not condoning the removal of the rev limiter nor removing of the governor. I ran many test with a tech to see how my cart ran and the average RPM's I would be in. All carts are different and handle changes differently
Rdavis984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
buckbuckey25
Not Yet Wild

RDavis - TY for the info! I am running 205/50 10 tires. Tire diameter of 17 inches. I am sure that is lower than most and i hope to go to the 8:1 HSG. I figure that may offset my torque loss by a little bit (the smaller tire diameter). I would like to land in the 20-22 mph range and will adjust tire size for tweaking. Wow. Once that cart of yours is up to speed you must be cooking along! Sounds like a hair dryer to me! Schweet! I would go with your set up if I were not fightin some decent grade around my place.

Thanks again!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Rdavis984
Not Yet Wild

Well With the 8:1 gears you will hit around 20-22 mph. My setup will run 37 mph with stock tires. It does not hit that very often but when it gets to about 30-35 your eyes will begin to water.

As far as torque loss goes the only real time your gonna realize it is when your starting from a stop. My cart can pull 2 men with a combined weight 600lbs up a steep hill decently yes it does lose speed but my other cart loses speed too with the stock gears. When your cart is rolling you will not notice the loss. Hope this helps.
Rdavis984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
buckbuckey25
Not Yet Wild

YOur responses have helped me tremendously! I am now committed to get this modification done. I am trolling the forum to ensure I order the right gear set!!

THANKS AGAIN RDAVIS
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car