lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
kwest0425
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 problem - Rings/Bearings/something else?

I am soliciting opinions.

Have an 81' G1 that has been running great. The other day I started in reverse. Started right up, backed up about 4 ft, it coughed and died. I tried to restart it and it turned over very slowly like the battery was almost dead. Then it wouldn't turn over at all. Charged, then replaced the battery, same issue. Cleaned all the terminals (see my thread - g1 starter/generator - broken terminal). Same issue. Removed the spark plug and belts and turned the engine by hand and it would occasionly hang up or become difficult to turn. Pulled the engine, thinking I had a bottom end problem, and removed the head and jug. The engine spun freely although I could here the crank bearing clicking (maybe normal). I tried to put the jug back on and it kept hanging up on the bottom ring. On closer inspection, I saw the ring was in three pieces. I don't think I broke it, but its possible.

Here's my questions:

Would a broken ring account for the symptoms I saw?
Is the clicking of the crank bearings normal or do I have a bearing problem?
What would you do? Rings and gaskets, top end rebuild, or ($$$) full rebuild?

Thanks in advance

-kwest
kwest0425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
kaublr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G1 problem - Rings/Bearings/something else?

May as well replace the bearings and seals while it is out. Be sure to seal the case when it is reassembled with a good compound. I use PST sealant never had a leak. My sound was the clutch side bearing cage coming apart.
PS good luck
kaublr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 problem - Rings/Bearings/something else?

Sounds like time for a total rebuild. Finish tearing it down and assess what it will need. Sounds like a crankshaft bearing has failed, causing the engine to lock up. Fortunately these are a lot cheaper to rebuild than the later four-stroke engines.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha