lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
mchineboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 85 Club Car Wife Says It's Too Stinky.

First, a little back story.

I bought the cart from a kid a few blocks away who had the motor half torn apart. At some point (he wasn't terribly clear when) it lost all power and was barely able to drive it home. He had the local village idiot, I mean golf car repair guy, take a look. He told him "broken valve, and $300 to repair it". So the kid basically unloaded it to me and I towed it behind my Jeep home.

I have a lot of experience with little motors so I figure I'll rebuild the top half, and move on. Polished the cylinder head, valve seats, removing all of the built up carbon crud. Replaced the rings, piston, exhaust and intake valves, and all related gaskets. From the looks of things, this wasn't this little motor's first rodeo because they used the kind of gasket goop that takes a chisel and acts of god to remove.

Re-assembled, and the little sucker now runs and starts up fine doesn't even need a choke in the morning. Still doesn't get above 14 - 15 MPH, but that's fine by me since the kids will probably drive it more than me.

Now for the problem: The wife hates the way it "smells" which smells like it's running rich to me. All of the posts that even relate to this subject say things like, turn the mixture screw all the way in, then 2.5 turns out. This however seems a little too easy. Is there an "official" Kawasaki method that works? Otherwise, I'm just going to "play with it" until it doesn't smell.

Thanks!

Edit: Maybe I should remind her of a time when all small motors had that distinct smell.
mchineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
wooly15
Gone Wild

Default Re: 85 Club Car Wife Says It's Too Stinky.

My 84 smelled like burnt fuel and exhaust something fierce...especially while sitting on the back seat. I use to tell my wife it was the smell of freedom.
wooly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Unless you purged the tank and replaced the lines, boiled out the pump and the carb..... you are still burning old fuel deposits... use an additive and tell her the longer you run it the better it will get...... hopefully somewhere in between the cart cleaning up and her getting used to it... she will accept it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
Yesdeere
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Just fresh fueled and Sea Foamed mine yesterday. Been sittin awhile. She stinks a bit. But yes, The smell of Freedom!
Yesdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
ecrouse
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

In my short time here I've gathered the protocol here to be

1. replace stale gas, have wife check smell
2. Check carb adjustment to ensure you aren't running rich, have wife check it
3. Replace carb, adjust it properly, have wife check it.
4. Replace Wife, have new wife check it.
5. Return to 1.

Seriously though is it smelling like stale gas burning or fresh gas, just too rich?
ecrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
mchineboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrouse View Post
In my short time here I've gathered the protocol here to be

1. replace stale gas, have wife check smell
2. Check carb adjustment to ensure you aren't running rich, have wife check it
3. Replace carb, adjust it properly, have wife check it.
4. Replace Wife, have new wife check it.
5. Return to 1.

Seriously though is it smelling like stale gas burning or fresh gas, just too rich?
#4:

Anyway, fresh tank of fuel, I did check the "smell" of the fuel that was in the tank, and it smelled OK. Not that paint remover smell

I guess what I'm looking for is, should I disassemble and soak the carb (always keep the paint can of carb cleaner )? Or will simply performing a proper adjustment help?

If a proper adjustment will help, just what is that procedure for this engine? I know in some engines it's simply done by idling the engine, then turn the mixture screw in until it stumbles, then turn it out until it stumbles, then go right in the middle of that.

For me, I like a long screw, so this has always been my fall back method.
mchineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
Poppa Cap
Not Yet Wild

I like a long screw also but a quick one will do in a pinch!
Poppa Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
ecrouse
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I always go simple to complex. I'd try adjusting it out first then cleaning the carb. Seafoam can cause a smell as well as it cleans stuff out, might want to take it for a nice 30 min drive to get it up to temp and burn off anything that might be left.

I believe the HS jet is fixed so no adjusting there, Low speed should be 1.5 turns out from seated then fine tune from there.

So it's just an exhaust/fuel smell she on about? Might be able to get it mostly gone but there'll always be some smell.
ecrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

what i have found over 10 years of driving 100,s of different carts is and be blunt when you tell her this as i was with my wife.............learn to live with it.............you think its bad now put a driving cover on and go a few hundred feet.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Groovy Grape Fuel Fragrance......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg groovygrape.jpg (5.3 KB, 10 views)
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car