lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Default 2 cycle ezgo won't start, maybe engine problem?

Hello,
I have a 81 2 cycle EzGo. I noticed about a week a go my cart was a little hesitant starting and seemed like maybe the belt was slipping a little. It was a making a slight squeal when taking off. Anyways, I noticed that first and then a a few days later it sounded like an exhaust leak, so I looked underneath and checked around. I found that the exhaust pipe going into the engine was missing a stud and there was oil around the opening. I also noticed that there was oil around all of the fins of the cylinder. I found a stud to bolt back muffler on. I then tried to turn it over and it still had the "ch-ch-ch-ch" sound like air or something. That is why I thought maybe it was some kind of an exhaust leak, because it doesn't normally sound like that when cranking or running. I crawled back underneath and noticed a little oil on one of the crankcase bolts on the 2 inside. I checked it and it was actually worked loose.So, I got a wrench and tightened it down. It's still a no go. I can't get it to turn over and is still making that noise, something like maybe a steam engine train. It's kind of like an air pumping noise. I also checked the back crank seal and it is in good. I checked the compression which was at 30 psi. I know that's terrible. My guess were maybe something with the piston or the front cranks seal. I don't know much about them. It's funny , I just got the engine back in about a month or so ago from having to put a bolt on it to manually bolt the fuel pump on. Does anybody have any ideas or sound like this has happened to you?
fingerpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2 cycle ezgo won't start, maybe engine problem?

Hmmm a pumping noise, sounds like a steam train and PSI at 30 psi. There are two possibilities, the cheap one and the expensive one.

1. Your cylinder head is falling off. Try tightening the head bolts.
2. Your piston / cylinder is completely shot and it is time for a rebuild.

Just a couple of points. It is normal to have a little oil residue around the exhaust flange. A two cycle engine needs crankcase pressure developed by the downstroke of the piston. If the rings are shot then the engine will crank but not start.

You are really only going to know when you remove the head and the cylinder

Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Well, I checked the bolts around the spark plug and 2 that I saw at the bottom of the cylinder by exhaust opening. I didn't notice any of them to be loose. I guess I'll have to pull the engine again next week. If I were to just do the cylinder and the piston, it wouldn't be the same as a full rebuild would it? Thanks for your help in this. I am slowly learning to be a mechanic from this cart,lol. The guy at Advance Auto that I ask for things is always like, "you're still working on that golf cart". I told him it always seems to be something with the cart. I guy I knew said that he got a way from 2 cycles and went to 4, because of that. I'll have to try to figure it out a time on pulling the engine next week. I'll let you know of my findings, or if not then I'll just wait on money for the cylinder and piston rebuild.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm decent with a wrench, but nothing like a gearhead. Regardless, I did a top end rebuild this year, and it really was not that bad - these are pretty simple engines. Even a full rebuild (including the bearings and cranks) doesn't look so horrible.

With only 30 PSI and all the bolts tight, thinking the top end likely needs the rebuild (and likely some new crank seals while you're in there).

And hey, the four stroke guy must love dealing with valves, cams, timing, etc.

Lots of guys here to help you with every step of the rebuild.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Hello,
Thanks for the info Scooter. Yeah, what really worries me is the last time I put the engine back in, I had the worst time getting the 2 hex bolts in the starter to align correctly. I might leave the starter on this time and label the starter wires. I am not sure which is best yet. I will most likely replace the front crank seal if I can get the fan off. The back one at the clutch looks fine. It doesn't seem to be problematic. I just bought this thing about a year a go for $500 and has been nothing but problems. It was just to ride my 2 yr old daughter up and down our dirt road. So, I am hoping to not keep dumping more into it until I can afford a nicer one. I guess after looking, what I need is a top end rebuild kit. It looks cheaper in some places on Ebay to buy the Piston and rings and then buy the gaskets separate. I guess that is if I don't need the actual Cylinder. Does the Cylinder actually go bad in most cases as well when you need to do a rebuild?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Rumor has it that the cylinders wear out of round - there has been guys who hone the cylinder and get a new piston and rings, and have made out OK. However, you'd almost need to use a good caliper to measure the wear out. Also important to note that the tolerance on these cylinders is very very small (.007").

If you do know a local machine shop, you can also get the head bored out, and go to an oversize piston and rings.

Both of the above are less expensive options than the entire rebuild kit - the main advantage to the kit is that you do get a new cylinder if yours is cooked.

And even if the clutch seal looks good, it may actually be worn. If you have the engine out anyways, it's worth the $6 and bot of effort it takes to get the clutch off.

Sounds like you have a 2PG - with my 3PG, I just cut the wires and butt connected them when I put the engine back in. No interest in taking the Starter/Gen out for my rebuild.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Hey Fingerpicker,
I really would not mess with your old cylinder. The costs of a top end rebuild kit are going to be less than $200 and you will end up with matched parts. A 2 stroke engine is a lot easier to work on than a 4 stroke and the power to weight ratio is better. My rebuilt 86 runs rings around my friends 90's and 2000's 4 strokes. When you are done you will have a solid reliable cart for you to enjoy with your daughter.
Now you are going to have to remove the engine to do this thing and I cannot urge you strongly enough to replace both the crankshaft seals. The cost in parts will be ~$7 and you will need a steering wheel puller for the flywheel and a home made tool for the clutch, but the cost in not changing them will be misery, squalor and degredation.
Anyway you are not sailing in uncharted waters here. Many guys have done this and we are all very happy to get you through it step by step. Shout out when you want to start.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

I appreciate the help on this guys and all of the insight. I am going to have to put it off for a little longer with work, full time college, and the 2 yr. old. I haven't found the time that I need to get the engine out and tear into it to find out about the cylinder. I am just going to order the top end rebuild for the cylinder in a week or so. I'll post what all I find out in a week or so. I hope I can get to it soon, lol, my 2 yr old is driving me crazy sitting on it with it not working and then she says let's go. I said soon, it's not working yet,so I know I have to find the time soon. Thanks again
Old 10-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Well it's been a while. I had thought about putting the cart up for sale, but then decide I know too much about things that I have done to it. I took the engine out yesterday after having a buddy come over the other night. I turned the key and was turning it over letting him listen to it. Then after hearing it, he said how much pressure does it have? I said around 30. He said you have got a blown head gasket. So when I took the engine out, I tore into the cylinder and the first thing I notice a half of a head gasket, blown to mess. I then looked around, the cylinder looked fine, piston seemed fine. I took the connecting rod out though and the bearings were dry I guess and fell everywhere, so I replaced them. I know I should have replaced the seals, but didn't. The back one I inspected and still looked fine. I cleaned it up and put the engine back in. It was sputter a bit at first crank and few mild backfires, then she fired right up! When I took it down off of the blocks, it took right off. The take off seemed a little faster than before.It seems like it has been a good month or so since it has been out of commission. I did take a part and clean the carb really good before I put everything back together. I guess I just need a little fine tuning now maybe with the slow bypass and it will be good to go. Thanks everyone for your insight and help!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, A head gasket is a pretty easy solution.

Oddly enough, when I first got my cart, I was hoping the only problem was the head gasket as I did see some leakage on the side of it. Unfortunately, a top end rebuild was needed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO