lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
hms11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 89 Marathon 2 cycle sparks

Hello, I have a 89 2cycle marathon and I just recently completed the HEI swap (actually, I used an HEI ignition module but used the coil out of a 96 Chev truck with a Vortec motor, the HEI module bolts right in place of the 96 chev ign module and the whole setup comes on a tidy bracket so I thought it made for a cleaner install.)

The cart runs well and has about as much power as I would expect an 11hp golf cart to have but last night while running up and down the road I noticed that the cart would spark every once in a while out the muffler.

I recently purchased this cart and the PO had a complete rats nest in the engine compartment so I rewired the entire cart and did the HEI swap, the cart ran like crap when I bought it but the price was right and I'm a licenced mechanic so I figured these little things can't be overly complicated. Now the cart runs great but these sparks scare the crap out of me, all my previous 2-stroke experience is with chainsaws, snowmobiles and ATV's and I can't remember ever having one regularly spit sparks out the pipe while under load.

I've been tempted to step up the premix just to be safe, I'd rather change spark plugs then pistons but I'm not convinced that these sparks aren't just me burning out the carbon from the PO's horrible running conditions.

Sorry for the long rant but I'd rather give to much info then not enough.
Anyone's thoughts? I've been lurking here for a couple weeks and am blown away by the level of knowledge on this board. I tried the search function but didn't get anywhere with it. Thanks in advance for the help!
hms11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 Marathon 2 cycle sparks

Good morning hms11 and welcome to the forum. The correct oil ratio for your cart is 128:1 or one ounce oil to one gallon of gasoline. Your problems are probably caused by previous owners running at an unjustifiably high oil ratio. The first step would be to remove the muffler, light a big fire and place the muffler on top. After some 30 minutes the oil residue will start to burn off and you will see jets of flame from each end. Another 30 minutes and you will be done. Let the muffler cool and gently tap it to remove the ash.
This will in all probability resolve your issue. BTW it is not sufficient to add gas and oil to your fuel tank. They should be added to a container and then shaken to thoroughly mix the solution.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
hms11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the quick reply Dave,

I was going to try the muffler BBQ, I figured since the PO never had it running right that the muffler was probably full of carbon/oil/soot build up. I knew the right oil mix is 128:1.... as completly off the wall as that seams to a guy used to 50:1 mixes in chainsaws and the like hahaha. I'll BBQ it up tonight or tomorrow and see where that gets me.

On a different note, does anyone have a picture/exploded parts view of the tension adjuster/bracket for a 3pg motor for the start/gen? The PO has obviously lost some pieces and there is currently a jimmy-rigged setup with a block of wood holding the front of the start/gen. It works but the belt is not running true and I would really like to make it right. I'm probably going to end up building the brackets but I would like to see what the factory setup is supposed to look like.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well this doesn't exactly answer your question but I too had a block of wood for a tensioner. I found a Harley Davidson cart kit which did the job for me and might for you too.

http://thegolfcart.blogspot.com/2010...ep-closer.html

Dave
Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
hms11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I would swear that I was looking at a picture of my cart hahaha. That bracket looks like a great idea. I think I can build something like that.

Thanks.

Every time I look at the cart I think of swapping in an aircooled single cylinder rotax I have sitting in an 81 blizzard. I think it makes about 25hp and it looks like it would be a very simple swap. I thinki I could even use the sleds clutch and just change the engagement rpms.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

OH boy !!! to much thinking
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
hms11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well after an eventful Saturday of muffler BBQ'ing the cart is running great, just picked up my Gates 6098 belt to try and help it up the hill near my house. Now maybe some body work so it's not quite as ugly lol.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Excellent, its always good to hear of yet another 1980's EZGO back on the road. Enjoy the cart.

Dave
Old 12-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

Sure hope you didn't waste a good BBQ fire without grilling some meat first. Great news Enjoy
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hms11 View Post
On a different note, does anyone have a picture/exploded parts view of the tension adjuster/bracket for a 3pg motor for the start/gen?
Thanks
I have it in hard copy...will see if I still have the electronic version I downloaded and will post it.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO