lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
tiger28
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo gas golf cart clutch removal?

My gas golf cart runs slow all of a sudden, i can see that clutch does engage but runs slow, is there another way to remove clutch without taking the whole engine out or do i still have to take engine out in order to get to the clutch? oh btw the compression, starter(new), coil(just replaced it today), points is all good, i do have spark, i just dont know what else to look for except the clutch any help is appreciated thanks
tiger28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo gas golf cart clutch removal?

If this is an '88 or earlier, you won't have to remove the engine entirely, but you will have to unbolt the two rear engine mounts and put a jack underneath the crossmember in order to raise the clutch enough for it to clear the rear end along with removing the drive and generator belt.

Should it be an '89 or later I'm not sure of the procedure.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
tiger28
Not Yet Wild

I will get the model off the cart tomorrow and will post it
Old 07-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
tiger28
Not Yet Wild

Ok its a ezgo textron serial numbers- 780728 t59663 i dont know the year so....
Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
tiger28
Not Yet Wild

Ok found out the year its an 1993 marathon GX444 4-cycle and its not a 4 cycle its 2 cycle engine i have right now and its a 3 wheel golf cart i just need to find out how to take clutch off any help is appreciated thank you
Old 07-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Wait, a 1993 three wheeler? It can't be. They haven't made three wheeler carts since like 1985 or something. Not sure of the year but unless it's just missing a wheel it's not a 93. I'm pretty sure going by your numbers that it's a 1978 which would make more sense for a three wheeler. I could be wrong of course, but a three wheeler that new would be pretty surprising.

Anyhow, here's the lowdown on what I know. If your clutches are set at 90 degrees to the engine, like they're not turning the same way as the wheels you can just remove the two rear mount bolts and jack the engine up with the jack head on the engine cradle. remove the drive belt by rolling it off the side of the clutch. You should be able to do this by hand. Remove the generator belt as well. Then in the center of the clutch is a bolt that will have to come out and you'll see threads much larger than the bolt on the inside of the clutch. After that you'll be able to get your puller in by using those threads but you'll need a way to keep the engine from spinning as you tighten your puller up. I used a fair sized pipe wrench on the center of the shaft. You'll also need to buy a puller which is kind of salty. I made one with a grade 8 3/4" fine thread bolt and a piece of round stock myself but I'm not suggesting it to anyone else. This is of course if you want to remove the drive clutch, which is the one on the engine.

To remove the driven clutch, the one on the rear axle, you'll need to take off the plastic dust cover and remove the one bolt in the center. The clutch will then slide off pretty much since it's just on splines, not locked on like the drive clutch.

That's the only type of cart I know about anyhow. The newer ones have the clutch in the same orientation as the wheels and I don't know how to get those off. But if your's is a three wheeler, the procedure I wrote out should work for you.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
tiger28
Not Yet Wild

Hi thank you for the info i already got the engine out and i will need the pulley thing and as for the year of the cart i just went by the serial number lookup by using the ezgo search and thats what it said its a 1993 marathon gx444, i would post a pic of it but not sure how to post a picture on here
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO