lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #11
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: 89 marathon revs then bogs down

Have you run a compression check yet?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2015, 02:22 AM   #12
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You are pretty much down to 3 things now.

Take the carburetor apart, and clean it really good. Cleaner, and a wire in every orifice.
Hope like hell that fixes the problem.

A compression check will test the piston, and rings. You should be over 100 psi.

The last thing to check is crankshaft seals. You can spray starter fluid around the seals while running on jacks. That's not a sure fire test, but sometimes you get lucky.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #13
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I couldn't tell if the governor is still connected. You should take the seat off, and run it on jacks to make sure that the throttle is really opening too. If the governor is still connected, it could be doing weird things, but I'm really leaning towards dirty carb or bad seals.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #14
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Compression check is a good idea, as is checking the seals. If the crank seals are leaking, it will cause fuel flow issues since the pump, reeds, etc. depend on the crankcase pressure/back pressure to work properly.

Also, you mentioned the cracked exhaust stack. In my experience that cracking can be caused by broken motor mounts. The 3PG engine vibrates a ton and if the engine mounts are broken this vibration cannot be properly isolated from the exhaust stack and it cracks. If you weld it, and have mount issues, it will crack again.

Based on what you have said though, I suspect the seals are beginning to fail (a common issue)
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #15
ctracingraptor
Not Yet Wild

thanks again guys, ill run a compression test today, ill clean the carb really good again lol. was anyone able to give me a answer on what carb i have? or where i should look for the markings to figure out which one it is? and i need more info on finding out if the governor is connected or having issues. i did notice with the engine off and i do a full travel of the foot pedal, the butterfly on the carb does not open 100%. Are there any sure fire ways to test that the cranks seals are bad?
ctracingraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #16
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

To check the seals, jack the cart up and put it on stands. have someone crank it up and while its running, spray some carb cleaner behind the clutch on the crank shaft, and behind the fan on the other side of the engine. If the rpms pick up, then the seals are sucking the carb cleaner into the crank case and are leaky.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #17
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You mentioned that your previous owner told you that you have the bigger carburetor.

Going only on that, this is where I found information on the BV-21 carburetor.

http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/produc...arburetor.html
Old 01-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #18
ctracingraptor
Not Yet Wild

Compression was 150 psi cold...
Old 01-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #19
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

That's darn good compression! Was a rebuild done recently by any chance? I chased all these symptoms once on a friend's cart and ended up finding the piston was in backwards. Take the head pipe off and look in the exhaust port. Spin the engine with the clutch by hand, when you see the piston you should only see a blank skirt. If you see a hole (or holes, I think 3pg has 2) then the piston off 180°.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #20
ctracingraptor
Not Yet Wild

I sprayed two bottles of carb cleaner behind the clutch and behind the fan, never got the rpms to consistently raise, im not sure if i should spray while the engine is at idle or while mid throttle, either way it was inconsistent results. Runs like a top while she is on the stands though!!!! I mean it tears through the rpms and never dies. Also the top end hasnt been done in a long time, as is a couple of years...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO