lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Looking for advice

Greetings all. I have the opportunity to pick up a 2004 model gas EZGO. The owner says it was running last week but needs an ignition and solenoid to get back up going again. He said the ignition is not producing enough spark for it to run. I am not familiar at all with the gassers but this doesn't make much sense to me. I always thought you had spark or not, but I could be completely wrong. Is what he's telling me accurate? What should I check? I've always had electric carts and have entertained getting a gasser, but really don't want to open a can of worms. I'm including a picture of the cart below. It's got rust here and there (it lives on the gulf coast). What do you think is a fair offer? Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (70.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 7.JPG (56.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8.JPG (61.2 KB, 0 views)
jneubig is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Diceman1530
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Looking for advice

some times you have to adjust the valves when they act funny like that
Diceman1530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
jerkputter

Buy a spark tester and check to see if it fires when using that. A coil can be weak and it will show up when using the spark tester. Most parts stores carry them.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkputter View Post
Buy a spark tester and check to see if it fires when using that. A coil can be weak and it will show up when using the spark tester. Most parts stores carry them.
I'll pick one up before I go this morning.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Unless I can definitively diagnose the problem with electrical issues, I tend to err on the side of caution when buying non-running carts - generally I figure worst-case scenario IE replacing basically the entire ignition system at around $300 out-of-pocket so I generally deduct $400 from the carts value if there is a spark issue. This results rarely in a complete "do-over", so as a rule it always ends up being a decision in my favor ...

That said, I have no idea where the market is down in your neck of the woods, somebody from a closer location would likely have a better idea. A 2004 in average condition, running, with a flip seat but otherwise basically stock is a $1500-1700 cart tops around here, so if that was sitting on CL or ? in the area I'd go at it with a top dollar of around a grand, maybe $1200 if the rust was minimal and easily repaired, no cracks in the body, scratches that need a lot of attention, seat condition, etc.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice BrewCityMusic. In speaking with the owner last night, he also said the solenoid was bad as well. I did some checking on both an ignition and a solenoid and found they were in the $300.00 range as you stated for OEM. He is willing to work with me on the price accordingly. My biggest concern now is rust on the frame and other structural components. This cart has spent it's entire life less than a block from the Gulf of Mexico. I do see considerable surface rust which is not that big of a deal, but I need to see underneath. I asked for pics of that, but he said it was too difficult for him to take which has me wondering. Its about a 4 hour round trip for me so I'm hesitant to even make the drive now.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I see he's got a plug out, presumably chasing his spark issue. The solenoid isn't a big deal, just need a continuous duty solenoid from NAPA to square that away. Like Brew said I wouldn't give him more than a grand and that's pushing it depending on under body and frame rust. I live in SC and the salt air near the coast is brutal on steel.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks. I decided to go give a closer look on Wednesday. I also ordered a coil today to bring with me. With shipping it ran me about $100.00. I figure it's a cheap insurance policy. The owner says he can have it running like it should in about 10 minutes with the part. If so and the frame is not rotted, I'll probably have a new project. We are doing some horse trading for a gun I have, so I'll be in it pretty good.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

With a new coil (and even if the old solenoid *is* bad You can jump it and get her running) the only thing left would be a grounding issue somewhere, or the Ignition module itself (or of course, something ridiculous like a broken wire) ... Good Luck, and we'll of course be here when it comes time to getting it all "Right" !!!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, the deal is off on the cart. The seller and I made a verbal agreement with regards to pricing. I ordered the coil from my local dealer and it will be here tomorrow. The seller was aware of this as we spoke several times yesterday. He took it upon himself after we spoke and made the agreement yesterday to purchase a coil and solenoid in New Orleans and got the cart running. He now wants $650.00 more than our original agreed upon price. There is absolutely no chance of this happening. So it's a no deal in my book. If anyone needs a coil, I will have one tomorrow that I will sell for a deal. I'm not going to stick my local dealer with the part. I asked he order it for me, so I now own it. If anyone needs one, drop me a note via PM. I paid right at $150.00 for it with express shipping. The first $75.00 gets it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO