lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
luvdamud
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 input shaft removal

Hey golf cart folks, I had a question. I picked up a gas G16 and the input shaft going into the transaxle has a little play in it. When I grab the driven clutch, I can move the clutch and shaft up and down (not side to side) about 3/16" at the driven clutch. It makes some noise when driving so I ordered the input shaft bearing and seal and wanted to get it installed.

Any special instructions for removing the input shaft from the transaxle? I have never had to go into a Yamaha rear end before and wanted to know if there were any "gotcha's" of if this is a matter of removing the cover and popping the new bearing and seal on. I got the bearing and seal from Cunningham Golf Cars and noticed they also offered a "kit" with the input shaft, bearing, gasket, etc. so this must be an issue for them to put together a kit to sell under a single part number.

Thanks in advance!
luvdamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: G16 input shaft removal

Is this what your looking for

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...placement.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
luvdamud
Getting Wild
Yamaha

RIB, that is perfect! You made my night. It looks fairly simple based on Dave's pics. Thanks for hooking me up with the link.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
luvdamud
Getting Wild
Yamaha

RIB, can't thank you enough. That link you shared that Dave posted was perfect. We replaced the worn bearing last night but found that the splines on the input shaft had been chewed up just a bit beyond the circlip that holds the spring seat away from the transaxle. We grabbed a new circlip and re-installed everything but the splines had too much damage to allow the circlip to hold the spring seat and as soon as you revved the motor, the drivin clutch would open and put pressure on the spring seat and the spring seat would push the circlip out of it's groove and up on the splines and allow the spring seat to move too far on the input shaft and hit the transaxle case.

What we needed was an input shaft spacer. I had a different spring seat and we were hoping that with a new Circlip and spring seat it would hold but it did not. At around midnight, I'd had enough but my Fabrication buddy was really not liking the fact that we were so close to having it ready to ride again but without the input shaft spacer it just wasn't going to work. As you all know, you don't just run to the hardware store and pick this up..... Anyway, I go home and go to bed and get up this morning to a text from my buddy. He took my old spring seat that we were not going to use anyway and machined it down to this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15992.jpg (85.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
rib33024

Your welcome Looks like that spacer will work
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Awesome! That must have made a good pile of chips.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Manley ingenuity at it's finest But aren't the splines on the spacer slightly tapered to keep it slipping back up against the case seal? Big "grunt" out to you both!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
luvdamud
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Small block, there is no taper on the splines, it lodges up against the the end of the splines where the spline cut in the input shaft ends. It worked perfectly and left 1/8" between the spacer and the case. The play is now gone but there is still some noise in the rear at about mid throttle and beyond. I don't know how long the previous owner drove it with the bad bearing so it may have done more damage in the trans.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha